Internet Explorer: Remove Manage Add-Ons Notification

Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 by | Filed Under: Using The Internet

Blain asks:

Every time I open Internet Explorer 9, a message pops up at the bottom of the screen, telling me to Manage add-ons, which I’ve already done. Can you tell me how to get rid of this message?

A common complaint about IE9 is the message below, which appears at the bottom of the screen, even if add-ons have been previously set. For information on managing IE add-ons, click here.

kevin_disabled_add-ons_ie_1

If your add-ons are already managed the way you like, and this message continues to pop up, your IE shortcut may be the cause of the problem. That is to say that your shortcut may be taking you to a version of IE prior to your changes. Mine was. To solve this problem, delete the existing desktop shortcut, find IE in the Start menu, and right-click. From the Send To menu, click Desktop (create shortcut).

For easier access, it can be dragged to the Quick Launch Bar (optional).

kevin_disabled_add-ons_ie_2

In Windows 7, you can also use the Pin to Taskbar option. Click here for details.

Thanks for the question, Blain.

~Kevin

Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Internet Explorer: Remove Manage Add-Ons Notification”

1. K.Vee.Shanker. says:

Thank you Kevin & Blain.

I also had this problem, but had thought that it was my system’s problem.

2. Larry Calvert says:

Blain and Kevin,
    A big thank you to you both for the question and answer on this one.
    Sometimes it’s those pesky little things that are so annoying – smile.
    Very helpful,
    Best wishes,

3. pepper b says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !! BTW, did I say THANKS !!

4. Donna says:

Thanks to you all as well – I recently had this problem too and could think of no way to correct as all the Add On’s were ‘Enabled’ – your Tip cleared it up right away!

5. LAM says:

I tried this and all of my shortcuts have the Manage Add-ons dialog popping up. Any other ideas?

6. Gil says:

I’m going to try it then close all windows and then start it up again. Let’s see….btw I have been trying to resolve this for two days now. Keeping fingers crossed

7. blackplayground1955 says:

Hello! I read here a lot at http://www.worldstart.com and glad to be a member.

8. Bea Ray says:

Great Tip! Great location of tip in the newsletter. Some days I do not have the time to read the newsletter unless there is a tip like this that I can use immediately.

Thanks!

9. Keith says:

Wow. That was easy. Thanks very much.

10. Brit says:

Thank you so much for this – that was easy and such a simple solution that worked!!!
    All these other sites kept talking about changing the Group Policy Editor thing and I couldn’t find it and it took forever to figure out that Vista home users don’t even have access to that thing any ways…

So I’m very glad to have found this site’s tip!