Is It The End Of Internet Explorer?

Tuesday, March 24th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Windows 10

It could be the end of the line for Internet Explorer. Microsoft’s head of marketing said the company is developing a new name to brand the new browser for Windows 10.  Right now it’s called Spartan (a reference to the popular Halo video game and also to the fact that it is spartan (in the sense that is simple and clean, without frills) compared to Internet explorer.

spartan

Internet Explorer will still be available, but it seems clear that the company sees their new browser as the future.  Despite being the most popular browser (used by 57% of those going online with its closest competitor Google Chrome coming in around 25%), Internet Explorer tends to catch a lot of grief. It was once regarded as the least secure browser, but the end of XP and Internet Explorer 8 changed that. IE does still have a reputation for being sluggish.

Microsoft promises that Spartan will be a “more interoperable, reliable, and discoverable experience with advanced features including the ability to annotate on web pages, a distraction-free reading experience, and integration of Cortana for finding and doing things online faster.”

Tags: , , ,

59 Responses to “Is It The End Of Internet Explorer?”

1. Edna says:

i have not been able to open internet explorer for at least 4 weeks

2. Edna says:

every time i tried to open it it said internet explorer has stopped working something caused it to close said it was working on a solution but i did not get one

3. Kathy says:

As a senior, if this next iteration will fix problems with IE, especially hacking, then the changes could be good. It would help if MS let us in on the upcoming changes and what will be impacted – thank you WorldStart – before its release so we know what to expect. MS seems to delete good things on their apps and IE, then request payment to get them back.

4. Dave Goodrich says:

I have been using IE for a long time, and have noticed it has become slower (sometimes), and glitchy (I sometimes have to read emails by clicking on “open in new window”, very annoying even though curable by re-starting). Give me a good tip for transferring my IE “favorites”, history, archived emails, and contacts to either Firefox (which I like) or Google Chrome (which I haven’t used). Thanks…..

5. Wanda says:

I would hate to loose IE, it has always been my favorite. I’m a senior and I’m sure it’s what we first used when learning. I hate Chrome, they keep pushing it and I keep taking it off my computer. I can’t find anything I want, can’t get the favorites to work right.

6. Karl says:

New? Faster? Better? All catch phrases to make you think it’s a better product, where in fact unless you are an oscilloscope, a person can not really tell if a browser is faster than before. Who really is that impatient that you need to find web pages one nano second faster. I prefer a clean, uncluttered desk top browser, with Firefox and Google (not chrome either!!) as my door to the world wide web.

7. Alan Holder says:

I prefer Google but if “Spartan” is better than the current IE then I would more than likely use it.

8. Alan Holder says:

If “Spartan” is better than the current IE then I would more than likely use it.

9. linda gilleo says:

change something else we have to learn and figure out I hope it will change with the system

10. Mark says:

I still use internet explorer and I like it even though it has a few slugish problems. I just hope that (Spartan or what ever it’s called) Doesn’t work anything like Chrome. I hate Chrome, it’s fast but stupid and nothing works right as far as I’m conserned. I wish they could just give internet Explorer a good tuneup and keep it the same name after all most people are used to it. One thing I hate about Microsoft is everytime they screw with someting it’s only better 30% of the time.

11. isabelle says:

When XP expired, my computer life has ever been the same and I’m mad at Microsoft for doing this HOWEVER life goes on and Spartan will be the next bump to contend with in the world of technology but there are alternatives out there and World Start keeps us abreast of this Thank you WS

12. Trinidad A. Williams says:

Internet Explorer sound so appropriate to the adventure; where I would go to for opening that vista. I’ve recently encountered long waits, blank screen till I finally enlisted Foxfire to allow me into my email server and other sites…assistance has given me a broader portal, still teacher myself to look closer-more completely at the screens how to navigate to where I need to go without opening more distracting trails. I will appreciate any tips-clues of whats going on, thank you WS for this headsup! I have gone through much anxieties thinking I’d done something wrong, refreshed my system when it wasn’t the thing to do because of “other’s” unconventional behavior, suffered additional expense to try “fixes.” I’m hoping for better communication to changes from the provider…better phrasing of instructions also so one isn’t continuing with uncertainty regarding the flow in service.

13. George Paris says:

There can be no debate that computer technology has been designed from almost the beginning on the principle of programmed obsolecense. As was discussed some years ago between Bill Gates and the CEO of a General Motors; ‘f cars were made like computers you’d have to get out at every corner and kick the back tire etc.’ No semi intelligent person could believe that it is beyond the technology of today to merely add in patches to existing technology, whichwas in effect basically perfected 20 years ago. Everything else is window dressing to keep the money rolling in…

14. Sandra says:

Internet Explorer needs to go. I always have 4 or 5 tabs open and it never fails they all freeze. I then have to alt-ctrl-del to get them to close. Very frustrating and it happens every time.