Is Windows Media Player Gone In Window 10?

Wednesday, July 1st, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Windows 10

Many of you weren’t happy to lose Windows Media Center as an included feature in Windows 8 and are even sadder to see that it’s going away completely in Windows 10. A reader asked. “Can we download Windows Media Player 12 for Windows 10? If not, what’s a good alternative. I have tried Winamp, Media Monkey & Clementine. None of them have as nice and user-friendly interface as the WMP. Is there something. else out there that compares?”

mediaplayercrop

While Windows Media Center is going away for good, Windows Media Player is alive and well in Windows 10 and included in the operating system.  Windows Media Center allowed you to record and watch TVs, play DVDs, make slideshows and watch DVDs.  Windows Media player has simpler functions but still allows you play music and video and organize your digital media collection.

Although if you’re looking for a good alternative to it, I suggest VLC Media Player.

11 Responses to “Is Windows Media Player Gone In Window 10?”

1. bob price says:

I moved to VLC Media Player a long time ago. It’s great, and happy to hear it works in W 10.

2. Shafts says:

I don’t know what’s so good about VLC I know it plays many formats but I think the interface is ugly. Cheers

• cynthia says:

The great thing is all the formats is plays. When I worked at television station and we needed to import many types of files, it was a lifesaver.

3. John Fowles says:

Whilst VLC may well have its uses (IIRC it has better CODEC support than WMP) I had to uninstall it when I found that it is one of those reprehensible programs (like ruddy Word) that for no obvious reason and without asking for your permission tries to set itself up as the default program in places where it has no rhyme or reason to be involved (like opening image files)

4. Les Arthur says:

The real loss is for those of us who use WMC to watch TV, using a TV card installed in the desktop. Is there an alternative that will accomplish that? I don’t think VLC replaces that use of WMC.

5. Ron says:

I am also going to be looking for a replacement for WMC. Something that also allows you to record and watch TVs, play DVDs, make slideshows and watch DVDs. Hopefully all in one package. Any suggestions?

Is “Windows Movie Maker” going to survive the cut?

6. Jan Robinson says:

I’m so glad Windows Media Player is not on the cutting board. Because that’s the program I use to download old radio programs and put them onto a disc in MP3 format. He loves listening to those old radio shows.

7. kathy says:

This good info about windows media player though it’s technically not within my experience. I assume that I will still be able to play DVDs (home & commerical movies) and CDs (ripping as well as listening) on my pc when Windows 10 is installed. Am I correct? I have an HP laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium.