Is Your Computer Ready For Windows 10?

Tuesday, June 9th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Windows 10

Windows 10 is coming soon. If you have Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1, you can upgrade to Window 10 for free starting July 29. But can your computer handle the upgrade?

There’s an easy way to check.  A little Windows symbol should have appeared in the lower right of your task bar. This is how you can reserve your Windows 10 upgrade. This is also how you can check to see if your computer is ready for Windows 10.

windows-10-upgrade-symbol

Right-click on it and choose Reserve your free upgrade.

windows-10-reserve-upgrade

Enter an e-mail address where you can be notified when your upgrade has been downloaded to your device in late July. You will still have to initiate the installation. It does a quick compatibility check then, but it happened so fast I wasn’t even able to grab a screenshot of it on either my Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 system. I assume that was because both systems were good to go. You can cancel the reservation if you change your mind.

windows-10-upgrade-reserved

However, you can check again by right-clicking that little Windows symbol and then choosing Check your upgrade status.

windows-10-check-upgrade

In my case, I got the all-clear. Again, it happened very quickly, so grabbing a screenshot was a challenge.

windows-10-upgrade-good

If there are compatibility issues, they’ll be listed. There’s a category for devices like headphones, mice or keyboards and for programs. I didn’t see anything on either a Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer.

This means my computer and the programs on it should work with Windows 10. You will need at least 3GB of free space available to download this upgrade, so if you’re tight for space on your PC, it may be time to consider moving a few things off to another drive or into cloud storage.

Tags: , ,

30 Responses to “Is Your Computer Ready For Windows 10?”

1. Anton says:

Greetings Thankyou for the great tip Cynthia, I clicked the upgrade status link & got the pop up & when I did I also noticed three barred lines top left of window I clicked & found several informative pieces on windows 10 Thought I would share with you & others that might be interested Ty again for the great tips & ty to all of the team Regards A.Davies

2. L A Graham says:

Did NOT work for me. That option isn’t among those listed on my computer, which has Windows 8.1.

3. Diane says:

Did the test on my ASUS laptop, no issues found with Apps but two found for devices [1] Glance Speed Boost & [2] Intel HD Graphics 4000 both said Experience problems with display.
    Should I stick with 8.1. or go for update? what would you advise?

4. steve Jordan says:

It is only half of the story. What happens if you don’t get the little notification? Take the tim to tell all of the story.

• cynthia says:

Steve, that’s a separate and kind of complicated issues that we’ll address in another article. The first thing to do if you don’t have the icon is to make sure you have all of your updates installed, even the optional ones.

5. Eva says:

Hi,
    I did the test for compatability on my Asus Aspire laptop and it came back
    that my Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter is a problem and will affect my
    network. Is there a way to fix this? or should I not upgrade to windows 10?

• cynthia says:

You may want to check with Broadcom and see if they plan to have Windows 10 drivers ready by the launch. Or you might want to consider another wireless adapter, if you think the trade-off for the news operating system is worth it.

6. Al says:

I am operating with Vista. Can I still download Windows 10 System?

7. Frank Vanacore says:

I have one computer that can be upgraded to windows 10, the other that has windows 7, cant be upgraded Something about the processor doesn’t support LAHF / SAHF and must Have PrefetchW. Now I see why Microsoft is giving it away free. They have eliminated quite a few of the computers out there. Therefore I will upgrade to a new Mac, and eliminate all the upgrade problems wit Microsoft.

8. Peter S says:

There is no windows symbol in the lower right hand corner of the task bar. Where could it be? I’m running W 7.

9. Lis says:

Dear Cynthia,

Do so enjoy and learn from your tips, many thanks.
    About the Window 10 download.
    I read that this window 10 download is good for 1 year free.
    What will happen
    after the year is up?

Respectfully,

da6151

• cynthia says:

Nothing will happen. The download is available free for one year and will work like any other OS upgrade. If you wait past July 29, 2016 to upgrade, the free offer will have expired and you’ll have to pay if you want to upgrade.

10. […] First of all, Joan, if you are using Windows 7, I think you’ll find Windows 10 to be pretty easy to understand and use.  I’d suggest clicking that little windows icon in the corner of your screen to reserve your upgrade and then running the compatibility checker to see how well Windows 10 will get along with the programs and devices you currently use on your computer. You can find instructions for that by clicking here. […]

11. […] If you see that little Windows icon in the lower-corner of your screen, you’ve got a genuine copy and Windows is ready to upgrade. […]

12. Kernow says:

When I clicked on “Check Your Upgrade Status”, it just came back with a message saying there was nothing else for me to do at this time. There was no compatibility check.

• cynthia says:

If you don’t see any notices of compatibility issues, you should be good to go. But you can click on Check your upgrade status and then the menu in the upper-right of that window. Under getting the Upgrade, you can choose Check your PC or you’ll see “your PC is ready” which indicates no issues.

13. B Williams says:

I have the Broadcom wireless adapter error also. Their web site says they don’t deal directly with consumers, but to contact the manufacturer. How many of us are simply users, not techies? We seniors are REALLY lost with the frequent changes of jargon, programs, etc., with no user friendly way to learn to navigate. My husband is ready to trash the computer! Thank God for Worldstart. You help us many ways. I’m hoping you can post more articles on the Win 10 progression. Thanks!

14. Peter S says:

I don’t have the little windows icon in the corner or anywhere else. Windows 7 came with the computer when I bought it.
    What do you suggest for me to do?

15. […] Many of you have written concerned that you don’t have that little upgrade icon for Windows 10 in the lower right corner of your Windows PC. […]

16. Barb Renz says:

I have Windows 8.1.1 and I have not received the little icon in the lower right corner.

17. anthony smith says:

just wondering if you could tell me why Microsoft isn’t offering the windows 10 update to users currently running windows 7 enterprise, as I am. I bought this computer with this loaded on it already, so is there any way for me to upgrade to 10? I didn’t see any explanation in any of your questions, so thought I’d try this.. thanks for your help

• cynthia says:

Generally, Windows Enterprise is purchased by businesses. They’re givng the free upgrade to home users and expect to make their money on business users.

18. […] You can check program compatibility fairly easily. Click here for the steps.  […]

19. Sharon says:

Would you please give me the link to download windows 10? I have windows xp and I am anxious to update my computer.–Sharon

• cynthia says:

Sharon, you’ll need to go to Microsoft.com and purchase Windows 10 or to another size that sells the download.