Keeping Up with Google

Wednesday, March 14th, 2012 by | Filed Under: Uncategorized

kevin_keeping_up_with_google

Google’s driving me crazy.

A few weeks ago, I wrote an article about Google Instant Predictions, which–due to some minor settings changes to the Google home page–was obsolete by the time it was published (a week later). Shortly after that, another of our writers authored a perfectly good Gmail tip, which was likewise immediately out-of-date. Both of these articles still demonstrated a workable solution to a problem but, changes in access to the settings confused several readers. A couple days ago, I decided to put together an article about Android app updates; one that would include a visit to the Android Market through the direct link on the home screen of an Android phone. I tapped that link and–much to my lack of surprise–there was a new twist. Access through the link to the Market (now Google play), required submission to a new Google Terms of Service Agreement.

This seemingly constant state of flux, combined with a controversial revision of their privacy policies, and the impression of a Google desire for technological world domination, are making it increasingly difficult to write about their products. Frequent reactions to these articles include anger and indifference, with many readers commenting that they refuse to use Google services at all. Since I have long enjoyed the free use of many of their products; website, email, online photo sharing, a 3D modeling program, browser, maps…etc., I’ll continue to ride it out. But, I understand the frustration.

Because–like I said–Google’s driving me crazy…at least that’s who I’m blaming.

~Kevin

Tags: ,

9 Responses to “Keeping Up with Google”

1. Gary Gililland says:

I am with you & your porblems with Google. My solution to the just not use Google. IE & Firefox work pretty well on my computer.

2. Bill Hardy says:

On my computer, gooooooooooooogle is goooooooooooooooooooone for goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!

3. Shirley H. says:

I totally agree! I hate Google’s new email format! If it ain’t broke–don’t fix it.
    Another Google complaint-my sister’s gmail was high-jacked:her password was changed! Goggle’s response? They saod she did.’t have sufficient proof the account was hers!!! Frankly they didn’t care. Her email was then used to fraudulently appeal for money-sent to all of her email contacts. Shame on Goggle.

4. Reb says:

I Agree! Google is driving me nuts too. But, I cannot find any way to contact them, or to eliminate them. They persist in limiting my sending emails to my group of over 120 people, which I do every day. I also like to forward many emails which I receive, but Google always informs me that I have exceeded my limit. I have never found any way to prevent this. Any suggestions from anyone?

Reb

5. Dave says:

WHY do you even mess around with google??
    I quit google years ago.
    There are far too many much better than google!
    WAY too many!
    Quit googling.

Dave.

6. Gordn says:

Good knowing others do harbor google concerns – this conglomerate’s rapacious appetite for everything personal seems to have no end point.

7. Jenny Mosgrove says:

I agree completely I am having big trouble with Internet Explorer leaving a message that it cannot display a web page, or Explorer is not working. It was suggested that I change to Chrome and I will not use their terms and conditions or join Google as it seems this is designed to sell my information.

8. Bonnie says:

I am very frustrated also. I have always used Picasa and loved it. I used it to email pictures. That feature is now changed beyond recognition and they are trying to force me to join Google+ to email my pictures. I don’t want to join Google+ and am searching for another way to email lots of pictures. Anyone have a good suggestion for another program that is as simple to use as Picasa and Picasa Web?

9. Zola Gau says:

Interestingly this blog, you could update it more often ..:)