looking for freeware

Let The Vista Countdown Begin

Wednesday, January 20th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Security Help

If you’re still running a PC using Microsoft Vista, time is ticking away. Security and bug fix support will end for Vista on April 11, 2017. That’s 10 years since the operating system was released to the public. After that date, it will no longer be safe to go online using Vista.

vistacropped

Unlike users of Windows 7 and 8.1, Vista users are not eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10. I propose that since there are 63 weeks left until time runs out, it might be a good time to start putting away a few dollars a week to purchase a new or refurbished PC in April of 2017.

If you were to put away just $5 per week between now and then, you’d have $315 dollars available, which actually should pay for an inexpensive laptop PC.  It’s also enough to cover a decent Windows 10 tablet, should you prefer to go in that direction.

I know a lot of you will say it’s unfair to see support pulled for a perfectly functional operating system and it may be.  But it’s time to start thing about options for when your Vista PC is no longer supported.

Tags: , , , ,

12 Responses to “Let The Vista Countdown Begin”

1. Jesse Dee says:

Thanks for the tip about vista will no longer supported windows–How long before windows 7 will be pronounced dead?

I just don’t relish downloading windows 10 to my win 7–I’m just not lucky enough to be able to do windows 10 to my win 7 with out encountering a problem–Seemsso complicated–

• Lana Beyerle says:

I am not looking forward to changing to Windows 10. I am still learning things about my former Vista, now Windows 7 added to it. I am afraid I will not be able to open a lot of my documents in the New Windows 10.

2. Jesse Dee says:

Whats the success rate percentage factor for installing win 10 to win 7?

I’m just not that versed on making that change–My win 7 is ok now –I just don’t like change–I’m too old to change LOL

3. Jesse Dee says:

I have been receiving your tech tips for over 18 yrs—-Its always on the money–but sometimes too complicated–for an older person to comprehend.

Thank you for a 18 yr relationship–It’s been wonderful

4. Jesse Dee says:

Even if i did have win 10–I would still use a mouse-if available-I just dont like sliding my fingers all over a screen hunting for whatever—I prefer text –and mouse-“The ole fashioned way” I suppose I’m to set in my ways–Take heed youngsters LOL You too will age.

Therefore there is no incentive for me to upgrade to win to–win 10

• cynthia says:

Jesse: I’m not sure where you got the idea that you can’t use a mouse in Windows 10. Windows 10 is designed to be mouse friendly. There are actually two modes for Windows 10, the desktop mode and it it detects that you are using a tablet without a keyboard, it will go into tablet mode.

5. Nadia says:

Thanks for the info. I am getting ready to buy a PC, can’t decide what to get an all in one or a laptop?
    Having an iPad and a smart phone, the PC gets used less, but I’m getting old and like having the large monitor.
    I enjoy all your tips and how you simplify your answers and steps to correct an issue.

6. Lana Beyerle says:

When I purchased my Compaq PC, it had Vista on it. Microsoft mailed me a CD for Windows 7, because I bought my computer in a certain timeline before Windows 7 came out and I installed Windows 7. Now I am getting a message on my screen saying “Unfortunately, this PC is unable to run Windows 10. Also I have NVIDA GeForce 6150SE nForce. What is this? It needs to be made compatible with Windows 10. How do I do this?

7. Tom says:

How about this idea?
    You could buy a win 7 disk on EBAY for around $50.
    You could install the Win 7 over the Vista as a new install.
    You then could upgrade the Win 7 to the Win 10, before the cutoff time in July 2016.This will work if your computer is capable of doing so.
    If it won’t, then you will have the 7, which has a longer support time, I think Microsoft won’t end security updates for your Windows 7 PC until Jan. 14, 2020.

Hope this helps.

Tom

8. Mark Roberts says:

I use to mention necessary working missed out to upgraded or updated OS-Systems be it 8/10 or with iOS > being sometime back in 9.4.1 version was made with major missing features and therefore no readjustments to past reconfigurations as was purposely assumed for users being the developers going to the present creator to chose don’t know ‘Major’ pros and cons to how all thing ran before their changes losing major qualities that I used to mention and showing this! And of course users have absolutely no says whatsoever as developer’s rulership of -‘Forbidden Territory-X’- which was scold upon me, and no matter what stated concerns are to contacting as the supposedly worthy standpoint of who in their assuming eyes to following up with > Won’t happen period! I doubted writing this knowing nothing to gain!! But decided doing so as I found responses and pleasing solutions hilarious… Though I always like visiting here in ‘WS’ is my No.1 choice over the whole http://WWW...