Make A Horizontal Line In Word Fast

Saturday, December 31st, 2016 by | Filed Under: MS Office Help, MS Word, Quick Tips

Here’s a nifty little keyboard shortcut for making a horizontal line in a Word document. Yes, you can add lines to a word document, but that requires going to the Insert tab and then finding the line you want. This is much faster. Simply position your cursor where you want the line and type three hyphens.

Then hit the Enter key. The three hyphens will turn into a solid line.

Pretty simple, right?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “Make A Horizontal Line In Word Fast”

1. Ernest White says:

A great tip…

2. Connie T says:

What version are you doing this in?????

3. Don Barton says:

That is really cool!
    Thanks for the tip.

4. Jadesqr says:

Hey Cynthia, Cool! Works well in ‘OpenOffice Text Document’ but lookout for the …

• Jadesqr says:

I did not know that a, ‘less than symbol CR more than symbol’ yields nothing in a text string. I meant to imply a ‘carriage return.’

5. Bill says:

It doesn’t work in Notepad !
    -Bill B.

6. Bea Ray says:

On my computer, I had to use three underlines (the hyphen key with the shift key held down at the same time) and then press the enter key.

Once I realized that it was not the hyphen key, I am glad to get this tip. Now if I can just remember it when I need it. :)

7. Carl Demmons says:

Didn’t work for me. What version are you using?

8. Pam says:

excellent tip, really useful

9. Dale Baldridge says:

Great tip! I use horizontal lines often and sometimes have problems deleting them, but in my old [and still useful and reliable] Office 2000 this works great! Thank you!

10. Kenwood says:

I knew this but had forgotten it. I use LibreOffice. I get the same result. In addition doing this using the underline symbol gives me a darker line.

I then tried other keys — especially the top row of symbols. I get various surprising results. I won’t list them because this probably is determined by the various versions of “word document” used.

Thank you for the entertainment.