Make Room For Windows 10

Saturday, July 4th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Uncategorized, Windows 10

As I’m sure you’ve heard by now, starting on July 29th, you’ll be able to upgrade your Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 PCs to Windows 10 at no charge. But there are a couple of things you should do to get ready.

Windows 10 will need at least 16 GB of free hard drive space to install. So if you don’t have that much room, you’ll need to think about getting rid of some unnecessary programs or moving some space-hogging files to an external hard drive. This is exactly the same about of space required for Windows 7 and Windows 8 (and actually a little less than the 20GB  required for 64 bit installation in these systems)

To check how much space you have available, type Computer into the search box in the Windows 7 Start Menu or This PC in the Window 8.1 Search Charm and click on the result.  The amount of free space on your main hard drive should be displayed right beneath it.

hard-drive-space

When you install Windows 10, it should leave your files and programs intact. But it is still a good idea to back up important documents before you install.

Tags: , ,

59 Responses to “Make Room For Windows 10”

1. John Leklem says:

If 10 takes up as much space as 7 or 8 does the space taken by 7 get overwritten so the amount of space used by 10 is virtually the same?

2. Jim says:

Yes, can hardly wait for it to be released. I would really rather have a dvd to install from but don’t want to buy it.

3. Ron says:

I have decreased the partition size of my D: drive and increased the partition size of my main drive C: This has increased the spead on my C: drive. So now I have more room for Windows 10.

4. M. Kitzmann says:

I use Windows 7, typed Computer into the Start Menu’s search area, and what showed was all kinds of results for Programs, Control Panel, Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. So, on the right side, the darkened area, of the Start Menu, I clicked on Computer and came up with the results like you had on your picture in the newsletter. Not getting your results on my computer occurs quite often. Don’t know why!! Just to let you know in case others have the same results I had.

5. Mary says:

I can’t wait, love Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 sounds great. I have 393 GB of free hard drive space so I’m all set. In time I’ll be upgrading my Windows 8.1 Nokia phone too.

6. Donald Hebert says:

I have the evaluation copy and can’t wait for the real thing. This windows10 is super looking and not really that much different from win7 except it is faster.

7. Pamela H says:

Got a result of 864 on the C-Drive, couldn’t find one for the D Drive but assume it’s okay, have registered to get Windows 10, hope it all goes to plan, meantime deleted all the photos and important things to me after putting them onto a removable USB stick. Apprehensive but feel that I need to keep up with technology to some extent.

8. Bud B. says:

I appreciate your articles on the Win 10 conversion (I’m on 7 at present)…I copy these (and others) in a folder on my XHD for review before I go over. One article I read in an USA Today article which I’m going to follow: they recommend that since we have a full year to convert; that we wait at least 3-4 months so that some (if any) bugs/glitches can be worked out by microsoft. Maybe, I’ll convert on the day before the deadline!

Keep up the good work.

9. Froghair says:

I plan on updating my laptop very soon after the download and learn how it works, but will not update my desktop until I know how it works as my wife also uses the desktop and I don’t want her to freak out when she turns on the desktop. I am nervous about the change and I wonder if I can have Win 7 OS available plus Win 10?

10. Mike Shyman says:

I will upgrade one of the five computers in my house and wait at least three months to upgrade the others.

11. Gary Huguley says:

i’m currently running win 7. i have reserved my copy of 10. i plan to allow it to download but I may wait awhile before installing. I’ve been very happy with 7.

12. Gary Apperson says:

It took a while to get used to Win7, which has (so far) been pretty good to me, I had a hard time switching out of WinXP (which is still on a few of my computers btw) and hope that Win10 is all that it’s cracked up to be. I will, like many others, hope I can get it downloaded separately so I can test it before I commit (first releases haven’t always been Microsofts greatest forte) If everything is as expected “cudos” MS… I’ll be happy to upgrade so to keep up with the changing times *heh*