looking for freeware

Microsoft Makes Big Changes To Win 7 & 8.1 Updates

Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Security Help

Microsoft is making a big change in the way it does updates in Windows 7 and 8.1, and this means you can expect to see larger updates and no choice in what updates you apply. The company has switched to cumulative updates instead of individual patches that the user could pick and choose  from.

The company will release a single monthly rollup for security and reliability issues. These rollups will become cumulative. Everything in October’s rollup will also be included in November’s rollup and the company will also begin to add previous patches to these rollups as well.

Windowsupdates

There will also be a security-only update available that contains only the security patches for that particular month. These patches will no longer be available on an individual patch basis. You’ll need to install the whole thing.

A lot of users were wary about the policy of mandatory updates in Windows 10. Now it looks like Microsoft is moving that way in its previous operating systems. The goal is to make sure all Windows users are basically running the same OS.

What do you think of these changes? Is it a good idea to make sure everyone is up-to-date or a way to take away your choices? Let us know in the comments.

Tags: , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Microsoft Makes Big Changes To Win 7 & 8.1 Updates”

1. Mr. Jon W. Spead says:

Not surprised to read this. Don’t like it at all. Microsoft doesn’t really care about it’s customers. Just wants to force us into it’s one way is good for everyone box. I guess we have very little choice in the matter. Go with M/S or switch to Apple or Linux. Hate this attitude on M/S’s part.

2. Gale Jenness says:

It seems to me that M.S. is just trying to make things easier on themself by basically making a cookie cutter updates where everything is exactly the same, which makes everything easier for M.S. to do updates much easier and faster for their company and in the long run the customers will suffer from not having any choices to what each person would like or not like to have in their system! But if M.S. puts their best foot forward and does the very best that they can do, then this could work out fine in the long run. On the other hand if they mess up then everyone gets a messed up system! Only time will tell if this will be a good or bad idea for customers?

3. Storm Ferguson says:

Invasive perhaps, but at least they are improving your system and securing it. Like airport security checks and delays, very irritating but thank goodness they’re there.

• Jim says:

What about those of us that don’t have unlimited bandwidth? I think this sucks and if need be, I’ll switch to apple.

4. Allan Brunner says:

Typical Microsoft! Doing this is NOT going to put everyone on the same OS; it does not make Windows 7 & 8.1 into Windows 10. How do you get rid of an update that messes up your system (as sometimes happens)if they are all bundled? They messed up my Hotmail by arbitrarily changing it to Outlook and it took me 2 weeks to rectify & get it back to the way I like it, not what Microsoft think I should have.

5. dave yale says:

Now what happens when they send a defective update and you computer hangs up as has happened in the past? You know the answer unfortunately. Bad idea.

6. John Belemjian says:

I am using Windows 7. They said I was ready to install Windows 10 which I did.When I did I could not use my key pad or mouse.I installed all driver updates to to no avail. I finally contacted them and they said my series of Lenovo was t he only one that capible for some reason so I had to go back to 7. When I do a search for updates it keeps looking and looking and nothing comes up. So what bgives here. I know a lot of my colleges Arne having trouble with Windows 10.please respond on what you know about updates for Windows 7 . Thank you, John

7. Darlene Black says:

After having 2 computers ruined by Microsoft updates and having to pay big repair bills I solved those problems by replacing my windows machines with an I Mac.

8. Markj says:

John Spead,
    Switching to Apple won’t solve this probkem, Apple is even more restrictive on what they let you do and how update etc. In fact what Microsoft is doing is heading towards an Apple like environment.

9. Rosie Neyhouse says:

This is news from Worldstart.com that may help you at some point. With the older operating systems like 7, the problem that concerns me is mandatory updates may contain items that you don’t need or use but could take up more space on your computer, both, memory and disk space. Many systems running 7 or 8 have limited space in memory and disk space. If you can choose individual updates as needed the memory issue would not matter as much.

10. mwoodsy52 says:

I think.they are tired of hearing about hacks and this is a way to end them completely we would all like to.be done with hackers i say good luck and gods speed

11. Jean says:

What ever has happened to an individual having the right to choose? IT seems there is less and less of that all the time in almost every facet of life.

12. Shirley Stasko says:

I hate windows 10, I have used Quicken since 2002 to handle my budget. It is no longer compatible with windows 10. By Microsoft just updating how they want it but they are ruining software that people have paid for and used for years. This is wrong.

13. Brenda says:

I am running Windows 7, not ready to get a new computer just yet! I am worried that my system can’t handle the huge updates…

• Dirgster says:

I believe it’s a good thing that Microsoft keeps pushing updates. Some people claim that updates are unnecessary, intrusive, and waste of time. Not everyone is computer savvy and some don’t even know how to update their computer, but those “forced” updates will keep many systems running safely.

• Dirgster says:

Check out the following Microsoft site to find out whether your computer is capable of handling Windows 10:

• Genie says:

LOL, Dirgster, that’s a laugh. My computer was deemed “capable” of running Windows 10 by them, but my computer froze up 7 times in the first 3 days of running Windows 10. (It had frozen up a total of 3 times in the previous 2 YEARS.) I’d say that’s not capable. If the commenter is suspicous their computer won’t handle it, I’d go with their feelings about it, not what some site that isn’t always right says before they mess up their system.

14. Jamie says:

And this is different from Mac how? I know there have been bad updates but somebody has to run the updates to flush out the bad coding or nothing would ever be updated. Hopefully if they do this across the board the time they save managing piece meal updates could be used for testing and debugging prior to release (I know pie in the sky.) If everyone is running the same levels it reduces the number of drone PCs attacking us all with malware and spam.

15. David Christian says:

Looks like H.G. Wells was off by some years. I think it sucks just like Microsoft has for years. They make sure that all software and operating systems become obsolete at some time and many times the software is either not available anymore or has to be bought again because it can not be updated to the new operating system. This is probably why I have multiple computers, running windows xp pro, windows 98se, and still one with dos 6.2. Most but not all deal with games, either no longer made or updated.

16. JBC says:

I am so very glad you recognized this. It is a Sad Truth, what can
    we do collectively to stop this?

“Thank you Worldstart” for enlightening us.

• cynthia says:

One could complain, but this is really the standard way updates are offered. Apple makes Mac and iOS updates this way and so Does Android. Applying updates this way is really the rule and not the exception.

17. brigit says:

in my honest opinion, M$ can do whatever they wish to do with anything they want, i for one am through with windoz and the garbage their pushing on us! i’ve had more problems with 10 than i ever had with any other windoz OS….M$ needs to remember that they arent the only OS out there and it was WE the customers that made them a world wide company. enough is enough! time to switch to something less invasive and from people that do not think that because you have their OS on your machine that it belongs to them! Linux time!

18. Michael Rushing says:

I recently dropped 2 of my PCs from Windows 10 back to 7 to avoid this as the Windows 10 updates were causing me problems with a couple of the proprietary Apps I use at work. I shifted my other PCs to Linux to avoid this issue. I guess I am going to be going all Linux as I need those Apps so I can work at home and not have to drive into the office when I get paged after hours. My office has recommended that everyone either go to Linux or Mac’s OS X.

• cynthia says:

Remember though that Mac has basically the same policy. They don’t allow you to pick and choose updates to the operating system, they just update the whole thing.

19. Barbara Pickett says:

Some days I really, really, really long for the old days…you know, when people actually converst with each other…bookkeepers kept a note in his shirt pocket to remind himself…”debits on the left, credits on the right”…
    Greed still rules.

20. Barbara Pickett says:

Guess I’m tired tonight, I really do know how to spell…’converse’.

21. cynthia says:

Henry, I don’t think that has anything to do with Microsoft updates. It sounds like you’ve picked up a piece of adware.