Are you having problems getting your Yahoo! email to work on the iPad? Well, you’re not alone. Recently, we looked at one way to fix Yahoo email problems on the iPad, but it didn’t work for everyone, so here are some more things to try if you are still having problems syncing your Yahoo! email.
1. Download the Yahoo! Mail App
Your first instinct might be to use Apple’s default Mail app, and that is great if it works, but many people have reported problems trying to sync their Yahoo! email to the iPad’s Mail app. So, as an alternative, you can try the official Yahoo! Mail app – a free download from the App Store. It’s fast, efficient, and is updated regularly.
2. Access Email Quickly Through a Safari Shortcut
You can, of course, access your Yahoo! email through any web browser. This is clearly a workaround and is not always convenient, but it should work every time if you are connected to Wi-Fi. What’s more, if you use Safari, you can create a handy home screen shortcut that will take you straight to your inbox. Here’s what you need to do.
– Start by navigating to mail.yahoo.com and make sure you are logged in. You may be prompted to install the Yahoo! Mail app, but you can bypass that by selecting the mobile site option. Choose to remember your password if you are comfortable doing so.
– Next tap the Share arrow in the top right-hand corner and select “Add to Home Screen”
– Verify the information on the next screen is correct, then tap “Add” in the top right-hand corner and look for the Yahoo icon on the home screen of your iPad. Tapping this icon will take you straight to your Yahoo! inbox in Safari.
3. Add Yahoo! Manually to the iPad
Still wish you could use the iOS Mail app? Well, you can. It just might take a little extra time to set it up. Many people have had trouble syncing email after adding Yahoo! accounts on the iPad, but there is another way to do it that may yield better results, and that is to add your account manually. Here’s how to do it.
– On your iPad, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars > Add Account > Other > Add Mail Account
– Fill in the blank fields with your full name, Yahoo! email address, your password, and a description of your account (e.g. Yahoo! email), then tap “Next”
– Under the section titled “Incoming Mail Server” you should see a field called Host Name. Here you should type imap.mail.yahoo.com. The User Name is your Yahoo! email address.
– Under the section titled “Outgoing Mail Server” you should see another field called Host Name. Here you should type smtp.mail.yahoo.com. The User Name is your Yahoo! email address and the Password is your email password. Be sure to add both these fields accurately, then tap “Next”.
(Tip: If the iPad keyboard covers the fields so you can’s see what you are typing, try turning the iPad so it is in a portrait position).
– Finally, tap “Save” in the top right-hand corner. You should now be able to go to the iOS Mail app and find your latest emails ready for your attention.
4. Update to the Latest iOS Version
Another important thing to do is to keep your iPad up to date. Apple frequently tweaks the way the software on it’s devices work and in the past both Gmail and Microsoft email users have had to alter how they send and receive email on the iPad. So, to make sure you have the latest compatibility go to Settings > General > Software Update and be sure to download and install any updates that are listed here.
So, if you are having problems with Yahoo! Mail on the iPad, the options above are a great place to start. They may not solve everyone’s problem, but until Apple and Yahoo! find a way to permanently resolve their compatibility issues, they remain your best options.
~ Jonathan Wylie