More Help With Yahoo! Email on the iPad

Monday, April 6th, 2015 by | Filed Under: E-Mail Help, iOS

Are you having problems getting your Yahoo! email to work on the iPad? Well, you’re not alone. Recently, we looked at one way to fix Yahoo email problems on the iPad, but it didn’t work for everyone, so here are some more things to try if you are still having problems syncing your Yahoo! email.

1. Download the Yahoo! Mail App

Your first instinct might be to use Apple’s default Mail app, and that is great if it works, but many people have reported problems trying to sync their Yahoo! email to the iPad’s Mail app. So, as an alternative, you can try the official Yahoo! Mail app – a free download from the App Store. It’s fast, efficient, and is updated regularly.

Yahoo Mail iPad app

2. Access Email Quickly Through a Safari Shortcut

You can, of course, access your Yahoo! email through any web browser. This is clearly a workaround and is not always convenient, but it should work every time if you are connected to Wi-Fi. What’s more, if you use Safari, you can create a handy home screen shortcut that will take you straight to your inbox. Here’s what you need to do.

– Start by navigating to mail.yahoo.com and make sure you are logged in. You may be prompted to install the Yahoo! Mail app, but you can bypass that by selecting the mobile site option. Choose to remember your password if you are comfortable doing so.

– Next tap the Share arrow in the top right-hand corner and select “Add to Home Screen”

home screen shortcut

– Verify the information on the next screen is correct, then tap “Add” in the top right-hand corner and look for the Yahoo icon on the home screen of your iPad. Tapping this icon will take you straight to your Yahoo! inbox in Safari.

3. Add Yahoo! Manually to the iPad

Still wish you could use the iOS Mail app? Well, you can. It just might take a little extra time to set it up. Many people have had trouble syncing email after adding Yahoo! accounts on the iPad, but there is another way to do it that may yield better results, and that is to add your account manually. Here’s how to do it.

– On your iPad, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts and Calendars > Add Account > Other > Add Mail Account

– Fill in the blank fields with your full name, Yahoo! email address, your password, and a description of your account (e.g. Yahoo! email), then tap “Next”

name email address fields

– Under the section titled “Incoming Mail Server” you should see a field called Host Name. Here you should type imap.mail.yahoo.com. The User Name is your Yahoo! email address.

– Under the section titled “Outgoing Mail Server” you should see another field called Host Name. Here you should type smtp.mail.yahoo.com. The User Name is your Yahoo! email address and the Password is your email password. Be sure to add both these fields accurately, then tap “Next”.

yahoo mail imap settings

(Tip: If the iPad keyboard covers the fields so you can’s see what you are typing, try turning the iPad so it is in a portrait position).

– Finally, tap “Save” in the top right-hand corner. You should now be able to go to the iOS Mail app and find your latest emails ready for your attention.

4. Update to the Latest iOS Version

¬†Another important thing to do is to keep your iPad up to date. Apple frequently tweaks the way the software on it’s devices work and in the past both Gmail and Microsoft email users have had to alter how they send and receive email on the iPad. So, to make sure you have the latest compatibility go to Settings > General > Software Update and be sure to download and install any updates that are listed here.

update ios software

So, if you are having problems with Yahoo! Mail on the iPad, the options above are a great place to start. They may not solve everyone’s problem, but until Apple and Yahoo! find a way to permanently resolve their compatibility issues, they remain your best options.

~ Jonathan Wylie

Tags: , , , , ,

9 Responses to “More Help With Yahoo! Email on the iPad”

1. […] PM and is filed under E-Mail Help, iOS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site. […]

2. J Knight says:

What I have discovered is that the Ipad does not seem to retain my new password when I update it. I have changed the password on my yahoo account, and I type it into the ipad, and it verifies it . . . and then when I click done, and go back into the mail set up, it still shows the old password. I can’t update the password. that seems to be the problem. Any suggestions?

3. Hi J Knight,

My suggestion would be to remove the account in Settings, Mail, Contacts & Calendars, then add it back again. See if that clears it. Thankfully iPad updates are not all that frequent, so hopefully you won’t have to do this too often! :)

4. Donna H. says:

Hi Jonathan, I tried deleting my yahoo account and adding it back but it seems that Apple has removed the “Incoming Mail Server” and “Outgoing Mail Server” sections. What do I do now? Do you know any other way that I could get my yahoo mail to work on my ipad? Thanks in advance for your help.

5. Donna,

Follow the instructions from step 3 of this guide. Be sure to select “Other” after you tap “Add Account” from the list of email possibilities. Fill in your name, email and password and you will see the Incoming and Outgoing mail servers on the next screen.

Thanks.

6. Maria Watson says:

I go through Step #3 and each time it acts like it is verifying and each time it says server not available. I have been trying for 2 days. I deleted my yahoo account and it just won’t work. Any other suggestions?

7. Connie S. says:

This problem just started this morning for me. I have two yahoo email accounts. One will verify and save but the other stays in verifying mode until it says connection to server timed out. I’ve deleted and added both accounts numerous times as well as powered on and off. I don’t use or even have very many apps. My bible app works but my InTouch app says no connection. I read all of the posts on the previous blog that took me here to read more. I did add the free yahoo app that was suggested so at least I can get those emails but I miss my InTouch app. Any suggestions?

8. Catherine Walker says:

I couldn’t get my yahoo email to come up on my Iphone 5 for almost a week. Then I remembered the World Start Tips and bingo I found my problem identified and a possible fix. It worked! Thanks to a great IT staff!!

9. Emma H says:

I just resolved this issue by using Yahoo’s password generator for apps. You can find it in the account security section available on the desktop version of yahoo. I chose to generate a password for iPad app and hey presto, it worked. Phew.