My 5 Favorite Google Now Voice Commands

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 by | Filed Under: Android, Smartphones

If you own an Android phone, there’s a wide range of voice commands at your disposal thanks to Google Now. If you’re like me, you probably sometimes forget to take advantage of them. But I think I’m getting better at remembering that I don’t have to set everything down and start tapping on my touchscreen.

First, let’s make sure you have your Google Now “OK Google” turned on. Open your Google App, then choose Settings and then Voice.  Then turn on OK Google detection.

ok-google-on

Now, all you have to do is say, “Okay, Google.” Your phone will listen for your command.

google-listening

Here are 5 commands you can try right now.

Open an app.  Say, “Okay, Google… Then “Open OneNote” or “Open Angry Birds.”  Just say the name of the app you want to open and it will open without you having to touch the screen.

google-now-open-onenote

Open a website. Say, “Okay Google… Then Open the site. In this case I used “Open Pioneer Woman dot com.”

google-now-open-web

To take a photo, say “Okay Google, take a photo.” Your camera will open. Then when you’ve got the image you want in you sight, say “Shoot.”

To take a video, the command is “Okay Google, take a video.”

Google can also turn functions like Wi-Fi or your flashlight on or off.  Just say, “Okay Google, turn flashlight (or Wi-Fi) on.”

google-now-flashlight

Try them out. They’ll save you a few steps.

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “My 5 Favorite Google Now Voice Commands”

1. Keith Monson says:

Neat! Any chance you know all the commands that Google understands (and Cortana). I tried to ask for a list but I get just one or two (or five) but nothing complete. Also since I’m asking does Google ever talk back (give verbal answers) if so what commands trigger that? I know if I ask Cortona to tell me a joke or give me the weather she will do that but if I ask for news she just shows me her news webpage and I have to (gasp!) READ!

2. Rich says:

Bad Bad Bad!!!!!
    I say OK google: I do not get photo, I do not get flashlight, I do not get open Gas Buddy,

The only thing that worked is the way you described to turn it on.

• cynthia says:

Rich, first make sure you have the OK Google turned on. It may take some time for your phone to learn your voice – but I promise you that these commands really do work.

3. Claire Rosenberger says:

Works for me, thanks. Did not even know I had a flashlight!

4. Kim says:

Thanks Cyn, you post the coolest stuff! My phonevis all set up now! Love it!

5. […] wrote this comment on our story about my favorite Google Now voice commands. “Any chance you know all the commands that Google understands (and Cortana). I tried to ask […]

6. Terry Harvey says:

About a week or so ago I sent to myself some articles stored on your site. I never received them.

Also, I sent a request to share an article and never received an answer.