My Toshiba Laptop Keeps Dropping My WiFi Connection

Saturday, August 2nd, 2014 by | Filed Under: Hardware & Peripherals, Quick Tips

Bette writes

I am wondering if your readers or techies can tell me if there are any noteworthy problems with their Toshiba laptop L75D-A7283, Win 8. My husband bought a new one a few months ago and has had it back to the store 2 times, with no help given. Maybe a lemon, or maybe dropped. It won’t stay connected to our Wi-Fi, or our printer, lots of problems, slow etc.

Bette, you are not alone in having this issue with that particular model of Toshiba laptop. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find any clear-cut solution to the problem.  Anytime something like a wall gets between the laptop and router, the WiFi connection is dropped. You can click here for more on the problem.

I’d suggest purchasing a USB Wireless LAN adapter for your laptop, that should enable you to pick up your WiFi signal.

Hopefully this will help with the issue.

Tags: , , , , ,

34 Responses to “My Toshiba Laptop Keeps Dropping My WiFi Connection”

1. Char says:

Thanks a lot Peter. This worked well for me.

2. Helena Blomfield says:

same problem ‘tears out hair’ with a TOSHIBA LAPTOP C50D, drops connection every time….been back for checkup..nothing wrong they say..,been to computer shop..nothing wrong, new modem, still drops…took it back to factory setting still the same…it drops every thing after about 10 t0 15mins, while in for checkup someone downloaded a E T L file? today its trying to download 161 updates? I kid you not,3hrs….. now it says unable to complete updates..undoing changes, that was over 3 hours ago..I give up…..totally useless

3. Aloysius says:

Hi all,

I am facing the exact same problem, Toshiba Model: L50-B-1NZ, WiFi keeps getting disconnected even though the WiFi bar shows as it it’s connected. Every time I disconnect and re-connect to get net access. This issue is only with Toshiba as I also have an HP and old Acer where there is no such problem. Toshiba technical team gave some solution but the problem hasn’t gone away. They asked to contact their software team (This is despite having an extended warranty contract on hardware). The software guys (Toshiba) will only help with a charge.

This is really Toshiba’s problem and they need to take responsibility for it. For now I am going to try Peter’s suggestion and see if it works.

Good to see a lot of helpful comments.

Thanks.

4. Bob says:

I have a 2015 Toshiba Satellite laptop model E55-A5114, purchased about 13 April 2015. It came loaded with Windows 8.0/8.1 upgrade. About 6 months after purchased it began crashing the Internet connection. I installed Windows 8.1 upgrade as recommended by Microsoft. the problem continued so I installed Windows 10 upgrade. It was okay for about a month then problems began again. Regular Windows crash as well as Internet crash. I noticed that as I am on the Internet, the Home-Toshiba bar for the Internet runs the blue revolving circle changing from the Toshiba symbol. The Internet usually crashes at that time. The connection ALWAYS crashes when that starts. The hard drive was reformatted and full Windows 10 and updates were installed. I regularly update Toshiba and Windows. The blue circle still runs and the computer still crashes. I have noticed that videos run in the background because I can hear the audio. I believe the problem is that Toshiba is setup to run their Internet stuff in the background causing the computer to crash. Sometimes too much runs on computer sites and causes crashes. This has been a problem for slow CPU computers for years. My Toshiba has the Intel i5 cpu with 6 GB RAM. Since 2005 I have recommended Toshiba computers to my friends. Now I don’t. As I type this, the mouse is running inconsistently. The mouse is less that one week old. The old one worked and the next moment it didn’t ever work again, even with two new batteries. This weekend there will be a new laptop in my house. The hard drive crashed two weeks ago so now it has a new one.

5. Jamie Smith says:

I purchased a Toshiba C55 B5100 almost a year ago and it has been total junk, dropping my wifi connection constantly, plus many other problems that I won’t get into. I am one paycheck away from trashing this headache for good. The worse laptop I have ever owned, hands down.

6. Jennifer says:

Did anyone discover a solution for this problem? All of our other computers and devices remain connected to our wifi perfectly, but our Toshiba laptop loses its connection every few minutes. It’s frustrating!