New Tech Challenge: Try A New Browser

Wednesday, June 10th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Using The Internet

A lot of us can be a little nervous about trying out new things, especially when it comes to technology. I mean, you just get a handle on something and suddenly they’re changing everything again. It’s a little nerve wracking.

But I’ve got fairly painless suggestion for getting out there and exploring a bit: Try a new browser. A browser is a program you use to access the Internet. Internet Explorer is the most popular browser among PC users.  If you click the little blue E with the circle around it to get to the Internet, you’re using Internet Explorer.

internet-explorer

True, you may have been using Internet Explorer or AOL since the dawn of time, but I think it’s best to always have more than one browser available. It used to be that there were a lot of security issues with Internet Explorer, but since the end of Windows XP and IE 8, Internet Explorer can pretty much stand toe-to-toe on security with the other big browsers out there.

Or maybe you’re totally dedicated to Chrome or Firefox – I still say, “try another browser.”

Here’s why:  All browsers have issues. With any browser, you’re going to come across some sites that just don’t work right. Sometimes switching to another browser can take care of that problem instantly without the bother of troubleshooting what’s behind it right at the moment.

Troubleshooting-Google-Chrome2

I always keep Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox installed on any computer I’m using. It’s a necessity for my work life, almost everything I do is Internet-based and if something I need to access is having issues with the browser, I want to be able check ASAP if the problem is with the site or the browser.

All three browsers are free and can be easily downloaded.

Download Internet Explorer

Download Google Chrome

Download Firefox

Here’s a shot of my taskbar. As you can see, I’ve got all three browsers there, ready to open with a click. Don’t worry, they won’t interfere with each other in any way. You can select the browser you like best to be the default browser for opening things and open the other browsers as needed.

taskbar-browsers

If you have multiple e-mail addresses to check in with, one trick is to exclusively use one browser for one account and another browser for the other. That way you can remain logged in and even stay logged into both of them at the the same time, even if they’re on the same e-mail service.

And yes, you can access your AOL e-mail from any browser. The same holds true for your MSN e-mail.

Here’s the AOL mail inbox in Internet Explorer

aol-account-mail-ie

And in Firefox.

aol-account-mail-firefox

Step out of your comfort zone and give another browser a try. There’s a new browser headed your way soon as well. Microsoft’s Edge browser will be available in Windows 10 when it launches on July 29.

Tags: , , , , ,

7 Responses to “New Tech Challenge: Try A New Browser”

1. Selwyn says:

I have found that since chrome (which I used all the time) has updated to new version I can no longer stream our local shows in New Zealand because it does not support flash player or slverlight so I now use explorer or safari.
    PS I enjoy you Tech Tips
    Selwyn

2. Janice Baney says:

I use mostly Chrome,, I do use aviator, Comodo Dragon, and Torch sometimes also IE,, I have Windows 7, I have downloaded Firefox numerous times,, but it never works right for me,, especially the Pogo gamesite,, always telling me I need to get Java when I have it and the add-ons are trouble. Love your tips. Janice

3. RENA says:

well i get all my email on aol and i’ve been using aol for over 20 years and i find it much easier to use than chrome and I.E. OPERA IS OK ALSO, CAUSE I DO NOT HAVE REG IT OR SIGN IN TO USE. I’M 70 YEARS OLD, SO I DO NOT NEED ANY BIG CHANGES TO MY LIFE RIGHT NOW. AND I HOPE MY WIN 7 LAST A FEW MORE YEARS CAUSE I HAVE THAT WIN 8 & 8.1 TOO HARD TO FIGURE OUT

4. Vicki says:

I like aviator although I have internet exployer, chrome, and firefox also. I have to have a least one other because aviator won’t let me open a lot of things because of security reasons. Most of the time they open just fine on another browser. Thanks for all of your tips, they are great!!

5. Kathie says:

In spite of many frustrations with AOL, I have stuck with it for all 17 years I’ve been online. Its e-mail is by FAR the easiest to use (I also use Chrome and Firefox), and it’s the ONLY browser I know of that allows you to paste photos directly into e-mails instead of going through the hassle of locating and uploading them from someplace else on my computer.

6. Brad says:

I have a theory about people complaining about AOL and it goes like this (BTW I’ve been with AOL) since the very start of home computers.
    In general people are cheap and try to squeeze by with outdated clunkers and then wonder why they are having PC issues.
    Personally I prefer Chrome for most online browsing, it just depends on sites I like to visit, such as youtube.
    My browser rating:
    (1)Chrome
    (2)and(3)AOL & Explorer equally.
    I know people who love Firefox but I’ve tried it several times and found it clunky and very slow.

Like when using the AOL browser.
    Personally I prefer chrome wh

7. Joyce says:

I like the AOL browser itself the best.