Hubert is worried about the battery consumption for his wireless mouse. He writes: “I have a cordless mouse ( I believe a Logitech) that I use on one of my lesser used computers, and it has no switch. This means that I always leave the cover off, and each time I need to use it, I have to push a battery down into working position, and when I am through, I have to pry the battery up so that it no longer is “live”. I think that a lot of us that use battery operated devices would appreciate knowing if there is an easily accessible switch to use instead of having to take something apart to enable/disable the battery.”
When your wireless mouse is not in use and not talking to your PC, it’s in a deep sleep where it uses only a negligible amount of power. In fact, a newer mouse may shut off all together when not in contact with your PC.
Taking the battery in and out each time you use it, really isn’t very good for your mouse. You’re going to wear that batter compartment out a lot faster. Also, turning a mouse on and off means that it may not be ready to go when you want it.