A reader is pretty fired up about the issues of missing gear icons in Yahoo Mail. “HOW MANY TIMES BY HOW MANY USERS TILL YOU UNDERSTAND THERE IS NO, AS IN NONE, NO DAMN GEAR AND USERS EVEN POSTED A SCREEN SHOT FOR YOU BUT EVIDENTLY YOU ARE A BLIND RESPONDENT!”
I can see fairly well as long as I have my glasses on. And I assure you that the gear is not a mythical creature. The vast majority of users can see the gear. If you can’t, I can think of a few reasons, offhand.
1. Are you using Yahoo in a browser? The gear is not immediately visible in the mobile app. I did receive a screenshot of the mobile app and I discussed how to track down the settings last week.
2. Are you using an up-to-date browser? Older versions of browsers won’t display all of the controls for the new Yahoo Mail. Try checking your mail in other browsers. You may see the gear in one and not the other.
3. Are you scrolled all the way to the right of the screen? On some monitors, part of the screen is cut off.
4. Try clearing the cache for your browser. That can be an instant fix.
5. Are you using the old version of Yahoo Mail? There’s no gear icon visible there.
If none of these solve your problem, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with a screenshot of your gearless inbox. Just make sure to let me know which browser and the browser version you’re using.