Open File Location in Task Manager

Tuesday, September 13th, 2011 by | Filed Under: File & Disk Management

Curiosity usually gets the best of me, and in the realm of computers that’s especially true. Say, for example, when my computer’s running extra slow – I usually open up Task Manager to see what’s up. I hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Ctrl+Shift+Esc or right-click on my task bar to start the Task Manager, and in seconds I’m looking at what’s gobbling up my precious processing power.

So, I know what’s eating up my resources, but where’s the culprit hiding, exactly?

Well, in Windows 7 or Vista, that’s pretty easy to find out! Make sure you’re under the Processes tab in Task manager and right-click the Image name in question. Select Open File Location.

If there is indeed a location you can access, an Explorer window will pop up and show you the location of said file!

Neat! That oughta sate my curiosity for awhile!

~Andrew

Tags: ,

7 Responses to “Open File Location in Task Manager”

1. Michael R. Bruckheimer says:

This doesn’t work on XP Pro.

2. Paul Moore says:

Great Tip!! Now we can know what is using the resources! Thanks

3. K.Vee.Shanker. says:

Thanks Andrew.

It has been frustrating whenever my computer became dead slow in responding to my commands. All I could do was to refresh, close pages, or worse, restart my computer. Now I think, I can peep through the process page hole!

4. Sue B. says:

What a timely tip! I have been frustrated about what the heck is running on my computer, and I am anxious to check this out. Is there a good way to know whether I should never stop some of the running processes?
    Sue

5. Nat says:

How to you know what can safely be removed?

6. jessie rhynes says:

but how do you know which processess to stop, i have been there several times but do not know which ones to stop

7. Sylvia Steinbrock says:

When you open the task manager, how can you tell which program is the one to delete? I wouldn’t know.