Open Links in a New Tab

Wednesday, January 18th, 2012 by | Filed Under: Using The Internet

Ah, browser tabs – who ever invented them deserves a big ol’ hug! And speaking of, did you know that If you use your middle mouse button to click on a link that it’ll open that link in a new tab? It works in just about every browser, so if you’re using Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer, you’re good to go!

It’s perfect for when you’re browsing around on a content-rich site (like Worldstart or Wikipedia, for example) and you want to keep all your searchings organized in separate tabs. It saves time, too.

Give it a try sometime!

~Andrew

Tags: , , , ,

16 Responses to “Open Links in a New Tab”

1. msendhilvel says:

Very good tip. Thanks.

2. Eve Arnold says:

Don’t have a middle mouse button, have a wheel, how’s that supposed to work?

3. E. C. SMART says:

IT SAYS PRINT, BUT THERE’S NOTHING TO PRINT. WHERE ARE THE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS ?

4. Lionel says:

I only have 2 mouse buttons, so how do I use this mouse to open a new tab?

5. Nain Gors says:

I haven’t got a middle button on my mouse!!

6. Chris says:

Now that was a good tip!. I loved that one

7. Chris says:

I had been trying to figure out how to do that.

8. Kevin says:

Good one, Andrew. I wonder how many dozens of hours I’ve wasted by selecting Open in New Tab from the right-click context menu.
    Oh well, it’s not like I’d have made productive use of that time anyway.

9. Jana says:

The wheel in the middle works as well. Just press it,not turn it. Make sure you are right on the link however.

I tried it and it works well!
    Great tip!

10. Jane says:

Totally useless tip. In fact, I wasted time trying to figure out what you were trying to tell me because it just didn’t work. Like others, I’ve got wheel in the middle of my two mouse buttons and clicking it gave no response.

11. Greg says:

Most new mouse’s have a middle scroll wheel. Now how is this work for us with a modern mouse ??

12. Jadesqr says:

Hey Andrew, Good try except for the ‘Middle Wheelers’, see your Tip ‘Close Tabs With Your Mouse Wheel’ which works just fine, to bad the inverse doesn’t. Guess its back to ‘RT-Clk’ and select ‘open link in a new tab’.

13. CindyY says:

Love little tricks like this! Keep them coming!

14. Scott Lewis says:

The newest versions of Chrome and Internet Explorer make this really easy. I can’t imagine browsing without it now :-) Have a great week!
    Scott

15. Mc says:

The trick is that the actual mouse wheel can act as a mouse button, just push it in and it clicks just like a button
    Another trick is on a page within a word document do the same thing the mouse cursor changes into a circle slight slide mouse down gives you a auto scroller – so ah ha.