looking for freeware

Passwords: Keep Or Kill?

Sunday, November 8th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Security Help

A recent article about Yahoo! killing off passwords in their mail app stirred up a firestorm of comments and complaints. I know from your questions that passwords are a huge problem for many of you, but most of you don’t seem to like the trend away from them.

passwordsignin

Nearly every major tech company has stated that passwords are outdated and they want to get rid of them for good. Passwords are easy to forget and also pretty easy for hackers to figure out. Companies have tested out everything from facial recognition to one-use passwords sent by text to replace them and have even talked about password tattoos or pills that would allow you to access accounts with your body.

So, I’m asking you: Is it time to kill off passwords? What should they be replaced with? If you think passwords are here to stay, what should be done about people forgetting or losing them and what’s to stop hackers from cracking them?  Let me know your solutions in the comments.

Tags: , ,

89 Responses to “Passwords: Keep Or Kill?”

1. Ralph C Blackburn says:

I want to get rid of passwords?????,thanks Ralph

2. Beverly says:

I have my own method of generating passwords that I have been told are virtually, though never entirely, unhackable. Here is my bottom line:I am on a VERY limited income. I have never had a new computer or laptop. I can’t afford such things as machines that would enable facial recognition and, since I am only online at libraries, the extra time that signing in to get a new password generated each time I want to access a site is simply not viable. I vote to keep ’em.

3. Bob Price says:

Part of the frustration is companies and sites that require one to change their p/w every six months for “security reasons”.

So my p/w is safe for five months, 29 days but the next day it’s not safe?

IT once told me it’s because of people leaving the company, but he also said two or three clicks and that person is deleted.

4. Ernie Gobble says:

I have the same problem, “what was that password?” Get Dashlane for usernames and passwords. Logs you in automatically if you want. All you have to remember is ONE password and make it something that you can remember

5. Michael P. Russell says:

I say delete all passwords & go with Facial Recognition + a Fingerprint ID.
    I’ve used RoboForm, Dashlane & now I’m using “True Key” by McAfee. it uses Facial Recognition as a initial sign on. It Syncs data across Windows, Mac, Android, iOS. Extremely comprehensive multi-factor authentication. Can import passwords from browsers, competitors. Facial-recognition login for Windows. Can reset master password.You can use True Key on your Cell Phones also. Intel’s True Key password manager outstrips the competition in its multi-factor authentication choices. Once all of its features are fully realized, it will be a top-notch password manager.

6. Steve Welsh says:

Why not fingerprint!

7. Allan H. says:

I would like to see fingerprint and iris scanning as a method of accessing all internet oriented accounts. While one might argue about one, surely the two used in concert would become impenetrable.

8. Bob Curry Sr. says:

I get along o.k. but not great with passwords, am on a limited income, am also old, and am ready to try something else, such as facial or eye recognition. I do not think that it will be overly expensive and am willing to try it. It would just be an ap, not needing new machines, so let’s just grit our teeth and get with it. As long as we are here, we have to get used to change. History has proven that, so let’s all try not to be so set in our ways and GO. I’m 86 and haven’t had lessons on the computer, and getting along fine with win 10, so it CAN be done. Bob Curry Sr.

9. John Anderson says:

I find an obscure phrase that I remember and take letters from it, then take numbers from some obscure number I remember (I am a recreational mathematics fan). That is my base for passwords for six months. To that base I add characters (Non-sequential) selected from the site I am visiting. I keep my passwords in a file with a non-security name. I still use chrome’s password management tools, but am thinking of dropping that because of risk. I have considered password managers but have been comfortable with what I am doing. I use three-factor authentication for sensitive sites whenever it is available. I’d prefer keeping passwords; from what I have read, no alternate method is foolproof.

10. Joyce says:

Our family shares devices but we don’t want to share our email messages so we want to keep passwords.
    No, we can’t afford smart phones.

11. Gloria says:

Hackers will get in no matter what we do. I like the fingerpring idea. BUT if something happened to me how would family be able to access my PC or iPhone or anything else we have? I never keep any personal information like banking ot Social Security numbers on my computer Would hate to see someone in my contacts get hit from someone hacking into my PC.

12. Ray says:

Keep passwords or fingerprint scanner on PC. That way the user has control, if the users want some cloud database to hold copies for them, their choice. But if they don’t, then they don’t have to.
    I too get hacked off with sites that say ‘your password is 6 months old so it’s insecure’ and then insist on obscure unmemorable replacements – if I have to use the site, of course I am going to write a slightly encrypted aide memoire down. I can’t be expected to remember a unique password for every site I log onto

13. Jim says:

Get rid of them.

14. Barbara B Pickett says:

I think eye/iris and fingerprint, not necessarily thumb or forefinger, for daily use, and a password for the person responsible for canceling the account at your death or total disability would work for everyone. It’s really a chore to get remember all those passwords.

15. Mike Shyman says:

It seems to me that some sort of USB key with a password encrypted on it could be used for all sites. A 4 or 6 number passcode would open the decrypter to allow the password to be used. This would be like 2 factor authentication as you would need both the key and the pin.

16. David N Blondell says:

I have developed/constructed nearly 5 dozen different passwords that I think are virtually impossible to hack or figure out. Every so many months (or weeks, if you prefer) change them. (Which by the way, is a real pain!! Trying to find or figure out where the reset process on a given website is, is sometimes a real mystery! Usually, a simple way is to hit the “Forgot Password” button and let them email you how to make the change to a new password.)
    Each of my passwords contains 12-16 characters: letters, symbols, numerals — lower case, upper case. (Some websites will either require or not allow symbols.)
    They’re simple to construct: simply use the first letter/number of names of children… their pets and/or hobbies… nearby streets… places where you have lived, or worked, or travelled, etc. Use your imagination and you can come up with dozens of combinations which can virtually be guaranteed unsolvable.

17. Steve says:

I’m with Jim…Get rid of them.