looking for freeware

People Connect Microsoft Scam

Tuesday, February 23rd, 2016 by | Filed Under: Security Help

We’ve talked a lot about Microsoft scams before, but this one is a new one for me.  A reader asked about this one.  “I just received a phone call from a Microsoft”partner,”(People Connect) stating that my laptop has a series of issues (outdated drivers that need to be fixed in order for my laptop to function properly. The rep. stated that First I need to purchase a new Microsoft license as mine had expired and if I purchased the license from him(People Connect, he would repair my laptop. The cost including the license and he repairs would be either $99.00 or $189.00 with 1 year of technical support. I’ve never heard of People Connect so my question is are they valid and is $99.00 for the repairs and Microsoft license reasonable? Thanks for your assistance and for all of your newsletters. I find them very helpful.”

microsoftcrop

The red flags and warning bells are going off all over the place for this one. Instead of just telling you that this is a scam (which it certainly is), I’m also going to break down why you can tell it’s a scam.

1.  They called you.  I know of no case where tech support for ANYTHING calls you up out of the blue.  You call or e-mail them and wait and wait for a response. Know this, Microsoft never makes unsolicited calls to anyone. You can set up appointments to have tech support call you, but you will ALWAYS be the person who initiates the contact. This is the point where you can hang up the phone.

2. They claim to know things about your PC. How in the world would they know if your drivers were outdated or not? People don’t have magic insight into the contents of your PC unless you give it to them. It would be like someone calling and saying that they know you’re out of coffee or that your milk is about to hit its expiration date. They have no way of knowing this. They don’t have access to your PC unless you give it to them.

3. Your Windows license does not expire. When you purchase a version of Windows or a PC that has Windows on it, the license to use the operating system comes with it. It does not expire. It does not have to be renewed.

Scammers like this will not only charge you for their alleged “tech support,” they’ll also continue to empty your bank account once they have access.

The majority of people who allow crooks like this to access their PC’s report that credit card and other account information is missing and about half of them say these crooks damaged their PCs in some way.

Stay as far away as you can from scammers like this.

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “People Connect Microsoft Scam”

1. john says:

thanks for the red flag warning about Microsoft scam???? I want to run trhis by you about an experience I had —- I was on a Microsoft download page updating Essentials on my laptop and did a search on the update page looking for software from Microsoft to safely remove virus or malware and the search dumped me on to a exe. down load that automatically loaded this program 360 total security on my laptop with out asking my permission—–said it was a Microsoft Gold Partner—–I checked its license and found out it was from China—??? set off alarm bells do yo7u know anthing about this soft ware????

2. Sheila Dukelsky says:

Being on the do not call registry stops nothing. I used to take the time to report phone scams(usually after I answered and yelled)amd also sent spam email addresses to the government, which seems not to care or is unable to stop the malicious activity. Now I don’t answer the phone if I don’t recognize the number and just delete the spam without opening it.
    The amount of calls and spam have diminished.

• cynthia says:

Sheila: The Do Not Call registry only works for legitimate business that want to obey the law. (note that it does not apply to charities or political campaigns. Lawmakers aren’t going to regulate themselves out of being able to ask for donations.)

It’s not that the government doesn’t care, but there’s very little they can do when the majority of these scams are coming from foreign countries where they have no regulatory powers. Phone scammers and e-mail spammers operating within the U.S. are sometimes busted and put out of business, but there’s not much they can do when the calls are coming from India or Romania or Nigeria.

3. Debe says:

I have been on the receiving end of numerous calls from Nigeria stating I owe the IRS hahahahha

After blocking, they come up with a new number, I now keep an air horn by the phone……………guess what NO MORE CALLS!

4. […] commented on our post about a Microsoft phone scam. “Being on the do not call registry stops nothing. I used to take the time to report phone […]

5. Chris says:

I once got a call from a guy who said I had won a large sum of money, but to get it I had to send him a processing fee (about $1,000). If you could have only heard the background noises……..sounded like he was Jamaican in a hut in the middle of the jungle with noisy tropical birds in the background….ha ha.

6. sandra holiday says:

I just got a call from New York, I asked name. Harry Patel with People Connect. He said I have issues in my pc. I am not aware of any. He asked me to sit at my pc , I said I would call him back. He said he is in NY. to call this number 08081893158 and ask them to put me through. I said I did not have time. He is going to call me back in the morning. I suspect a scam. Please respond,

• cynthia says:

There’s no way he could know if you have issued with your PC. Tech support does not contact you. You contact them. Definitely not legit.

7. Ben Couchman says:

We were just called by “Harry” claiming to be from People Connect USA. He mentioned about drivers causing error reports to be sent to the Microsoft Server. He said it wouldnt cost anything but he would help us solve the issues with the drivers however i assumed a scam as i thought Microsoft would never call regarding this type of issue.

Luckily while he was on the phone i did a quick google and found multiple pages regarding scams involving them, i told him i had found these reports and he put the phone down.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS!