- Worldstart's Tech Tips And Computer Help - http://www.worldstart.com -
Posted By On March 31, 2010 @ 11:37 AM In System Tune-Up Help | No Comments
Disk defragmentation has been an important part of our computer maintenance from a long time. Just to refresh things a bit, without going into the technical details, disk defragmentation is an important process that we should run regularly to keep our computer in a healthy condition.
That being said, many of us know that disk defragmenter comes with every installation of Windows, but the time it takes and the result it gives is usually less than desirable. Due to these and many other limitations of the inbuilt defragmenter, few software companies have come out with commercial defragmenters for both home and professional use.
Soon, many freeware authors tried their hands in the defragmentation market and, as was expected, found huge success. These free defragmenters were far better than the inbuilt defragmenter, but still fell short of the professional defragmenters present in the market.
On 28th January 2010, a new era of defragmenters began when Puran Software, the author of the excellent commercial defragmenter, Puran Defrag, announced a Free Edition with exactly the same features as of its commercial defragmenter except that it can be used for private and non-commercial purposes only. Puran Defrag Free Edition can be downloaded here
Today, we will learn how easily we can configure this defragmenter on our computer so that we never have to even think of defragmentation again. Once downloaded, double-click the file to start the installation. Now simply follow the instructions on screen to complete the installation.
Once installation is completed simply click Finish to launch Puran Defrag.
Now when you see the Puran Defrag window, follow the steps below:
– Click on the Automatic Defragmentation tab.
– Click on the Add button
– Now simply click Next
– Select all the drives and set the options as shown below - Now click Next
– Finally, Finish
– You will see an entry in the Automatic Defragmentation window
Once again we will follow some steps and this time to setup Automatic Boot Time Defrag
– Click on the Add button
– Select Automatic Boot Time Defrag and click Next
– Select all the drives and set the options as shown below
– You can change the day from Monday to any desirable day
– Now click Next
– Finally Finish
Now you will see two entries under Automatic Defragmentation tab. Under this tab, you should select “Stop if on battery” option too.
Now, since it is your first defrag with Puran, you should run it manually at least once as recommended by the help file. Let’s follow some steps again:
- Click on the Additional Operations tab
– Select all the options
– Now click on the Main tab
– Select all the drives (To do this hold the shift button, click on the first drive and then click on the last drive)
– Now click Boot Time Defrag
– Click “Restart-Defrag-Shutdown + Disk Check”
– Click OK to restart your computer and start defragmentation
– Your computer may restart automatically multiple times during the defrag process.
Once defrag is over, your computer will shutdown automatically.
So finally here we are; we have successfully configured Puran Defrag to defrag and optimize your computer on a regular basis the professional way. Now there is no need to worry about defragmentation ever again and subsequently, no reason to run Puran Defrag again. It’ll do it itself!
Have fun with this one!
Article printed from Worldstart's Tech Tips And Computer Help: http://www.worldstart.com
URL to article: http://www.worldstart.com/puran-defrag/
Click here to print.