Recycle Old Cartridges for $$$

Friday, August 31st, 2012 by | Filed Under: Printing Help

If you are like me, few things depress you more than having to buy new ink cartridges. The cost per cartridge goes down if you have a printer that has separate ink cartridges for each color, but wouldn’t it be great if you could turn those old cartridges in for recycling and get some money off your new ink?

Popular office supply stores OfficeMax and Staples both offer a cartridge recycling program where you can turn in old non-damaged cartridge for a $2.00 back in rewards per cartridge. There are limits to how many you can turn in and of what type, so check out the full program details below.

OfficeMax Recycling Program Details

Staples Recycling Program Details

Thanks to Daniel Bienenfeld, one of our readers, for sending in this great tip on how to recycle and get something for it!

~Tim

Tags: , , , ,

13 Responses to “Recycle Old Cartridges for $$$”

1. Barbara says:

Check your receipt, I got home & had been given .01 (1 Cent each)

• Sylvia Steinbrock says:

I do recycle my cartridges with Staples. I recently brought in 5 and have a receipt which will give me a $2 credit for each which I’ll probably spend on additional cartridges. The .01 doesn’t mean anything–just be sure it has the correct number that you brought in.

2. Ed Mahon says:

Office Depot has had this for yearsat $3 per cartridge but has recently reduced this and limits qty.

3. Berwyn Jones says:

Why not send the empty cartridges to a recycling scheme that benefits a charity e.g. Macmillan Cancer Support. I send all of mine (HP) to Macmillan Cancer Support Inkjet Appeal, FREEPOST SEA2941, EPSOM, KT19 9BR in yje UK.
    The charity benefits by £2 per cartridge.

4. Steve Hooper says:

Thank you for that tip. I work for an office supply company and I see too much waste that could be recycled. I would submit that many of the office supply places will recycle the old cartridges, toner and ink, even if they do not offer anything beyond that. Also, the Goodwill in my area (NC) is now taking old cartridges and countertop sized machines (printers, faxes and copiers) for free recycling.

5. Bruce says:

What happened to “OFFICE DEPOT” with same type of Rewards program?

6. Debbie says:

Thanks for the info. Will be recycling all my cartridges at Office Max

7. Discount ink cartridges for printers from Inkjetsuperstore says:

I’ve heard this tips before and its really interesting. I’ve been refilling my inks an I’m planning to sell some of my old cartridges in exchange of some money. Trough this I’m earning a bit of money and helping the environment so its a win win. Very good post.

8. Jon Bennett says:

Here in Thailand we have refillable ink systems that do not require changing cartriges,when they get low you just add more ink to the refillable bottle,cool and it is much cheeper then buying new cartriges.

9. Ronnie Holmess says:

Office Depot has offered for yrars-no hassle and can use 10 per month for $2.00 each. Please include them in your information link1

10. Mary Norton says:

I take my cartridges to Cartridge World and get a two dollar credit. They also email coupons which save me even more.

11. Reb says:

Office Depot offers the same deal, with a 5 cartridge limit at one time. I was unaware that Office Max and Staples did as well. I wish I could buy at Staples, but there is none located in Fresno where I can buy at Office Depot and Office Max.

Reb

12. John Hunter says:

The way to save the nost is to refill your old cartridges.
    The one problem though is that the printers now will not
    print if it thinks the cartridge is empty. What I need to know
    is what do I need to do so that the printer knows the cartridge
    is not empty?