Reversing the Printing Order

Thursday, January 20th, 2011 by | Filed Under: Hardware & Peripherals, Printing Help

Bob asks:

I have an HP printer installed on my XP computer and it prints the last page first, the next to last page next, and so on. How can I change it so the pages will print in the reverse order, beginning with the first page? Thank you in advance for your help.

Bob, you can reset the printer settings to reverse the order of the print by following the instructions below.

Click on the Start button and select Control Panel from the menu.

print_from_back_to_front_1

Then select Printers and Faxes from the list. You may have to switch the view (upper left) to see it as it’s shown below.

print_from_back_to_front_2

Select your HP printer from the list and right click. From the menu, click Properties.

print_from_back_to_front_3

In Properties, under the General tab, click on the Printing Preferences button at the bottom.

print_from_back_to_front_4

In the Printing Preferences dialog box, under the Layout tab, you’ll see Page Order. Front to Back is the order you’re currently using. If you want the first page to print first, click on the radio button next to Back to Front. Click OK, and you should be all set.

print_from_back_to_front_5

This can also be done in Vista and Windows 7, but the process is a little different. Click on Start and select Control Panel. Click on Printer.

print_from_back_to_front_6

Right click on the default printer and select Printing Preferences from the menu.

print_from_back_to_front_7

At this point, the view in Vista is different from the one in Windows 7. The view in Vista is below. Under the Layout tab, in the Page Order section, make your choice from the drop down menu.

print_from_back_to_front_8

This is the view in Windows 7. Under the Advanced tab, in Layout Options, the choice is made in Page Order.

print_from_back_to_front_9

Thanks for the question, Bob

~Kevin

Tags:

8 Responses to “Reversing the Printing Order”

1. But what if the person’s OS is Linux? How would I do it in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS? I actually have an HP printer and want to change it so that it [will] print in reverse order (last page first, first page last).

2. Samuel Kittle says:

Tried this on my HP Laserjet 1oo6 , can not find the front to back check box, What happened, don’t thid front to back printing work on laserjets ??

3. Daniel Hulseapple says:

On all of the HP priters that I have, whenever I start a print job, on the setup pge that appears there is the option of printing from first to last page, or the reverse. Since I do a lot of double sided printing,I find that keeping the primary setting as last to first allows me to copy the odd ages in reverse order; then when I re-inset the printed pages into the printer, I change the print order on the setup age to “revers” before printing, and when the printig is done,aal I have to do is ake the printed set of pages and turn them over and volia, the print job is in the correct order The same goes for single sided pages, only I don’t have to turn them over- they are already right side up and ready to use.

4. Bob Gibson says:

Hey Boys & Girls,
    Thx., for helping me get my printing order on track. For a long time I have wanted to change that around. Now I can xx anything that is excess to save time..paper..and ink. Sure do appreciate all the computer tips.
    A BIG hug to you all there. Cheers Bob

5. Michael J. Smith Jr. says:

I tried this printer tip,still prints last page first.HP printer on xp

6. Ted Mruczek says:

I like the printer info about reversing the order of printing. Never paid attention. Perhaps there may be times that I would take that approach.

7. Ely says:

I been using the printer setting how it primarily came set, and it’s been printing last to first. Didn’t bother me. But today I wanted to print something front to back so I went to layout to change setting and much to my surprise it was already set to “front to back” yet has been printing “back to front”! So I did a test, left setting as is “front to back” and printed a document with multiple pages but I only let it spit out first page and canceled it…It printed last page first)…then I went to layout and changed setting and marked “back to front” did the same test, printed a document with multiple pages but I only let it spit out first page and canceled it, (used the same paper on the other side)…And guess what it printed starting on first page!! Weird huh…even the print preview is backwards..,when you have setting on “back to front” the preview shows you that it’s going to print “back to front” BUT it actually prints “front to back…and vice versa. For now I will just work it backwards until I find a real fix. LOL

8. Annie Lewis says:

Thank You So Much!!! Thanks to Bob for asking this question, and to Kevin for answering it! I loved my XP and my 550 HP printer, but I had to get a new computer, which was Win 7. Couldn’t get the 550 HP printer to work with it, so bought an HP Photosmart Prem C10. I hated Win 7 and hated the new printer as well. I was shocked to see the last page being printed first. I called the store where I purchased the printer, and they just said that’s the way it’s suppose to print. I called HP, and talked to two different guys, and neither could help me. I tried messing with that ‘back to front’ stuff, and the printer still printed the last page first. I don’t know what I wasn’t doing correctly, but I followed your instructions to the letter, and it actually printed the first page first! Thank you so so so much!!! I can like this printer now. Still hate Windows 7 though and hate Windows Live Mail. What I liked was Outlook Express 6 and Internet Explorer 6…with my good ole XP. I could put little gif animations and music in my emails, and little gif animations over my desktop wallpaper. Windows 7 took the fun out of computing for me. But, at least now I don’t have to put up with a dingbat printer printing the last page first. Thanks for asking, Bob, and thank you, Kevin for giving easy-to-follow and accurate instructions! Love Computer Tips!….Annie