Seeing Blank Boxes Instead of Pasted Pictures in MS Word

Friday, March 2nd, 2012 by | Filed Under: MS Office Help, MS Word

Recently a reader wrote in asking about a problem when pasting pictures in MS Word:

Since systems always vary, it could be a multitude of issues but the most common reason I’ve run across is in the options of Word.

Basically there’s a setting that will have Word load pictures as a simple placeholder.

word_example_picplchldr

Why would anyone use this?

The most common reason is to speed things up when working on a document with a lot of pictures. The scrolling is much, much faster if Word is not trying to load the pictures every time you scroll through the document.

That being said the next logical thought is to wonder how to change that setting.

As I mentioned before, it’s a setting found in Word’ options. Depending upon the version of Word you’re running they are accessed via the Tools menu (for versions older than 2007), the Office Button (Word 2007) or the File tab of the Ribbon (Word 2010).

Once you’re into the Options dialog box you’ll need to locate the settings for what content Word displays – looking for a reference to picture placeholders.

In the newer versions, you’ll find that in the Advanced Options / Show Document Content section.

word_pic_placeholder_option

Deselect the “Show Picture Placeholders” option and click OK.

That should do the trick – pictures should now be visible in your documents from this point forward.

~ April

Tags: ,

37 Responses to “Seeing Blank Boxes Instead of Pasted Pictures in MS Word”

1. Yusuf says:

Many Many Thanks…

2. Navdeep Joshi says:

I am on Windows 8, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2013.
    This is what I usually do to copy and paste images on MS Word:
    1. Do a Ctrl+Alt+PrtSc
    2. Paste into mspaint
    3. Copy the desired image area
    4. Ctrl+V on Ms Word

Now, when I double-click, the image is opened in mspaint.

Suppose, I send the file to someone who does not have mspaint, or, someone working on Mac, where would the image open by default?

This is a bit urgent query, and I need assistance at the.

Thanks in advance for your quick response.

Regards
    Navdeep Joshi
    navz_joshi00@yahoo.com

3. Alexandar Graham says:

Thank you!

4. Sheila says:

OMG ….I have been looking for this solution for some months now. It was such an easy fix

Thanks

5. Yonatan says:

Thanks a lot. I was puzzled for a long time about this “bug”.

6. John Kartsmer says:

I have been trying to solve this for 45 days. Thank you so much for showing
    the solution. Not sure what the employee did to cause this but glad you were aware of the option in Word.

7. Adela says:

If I may intrude, I wonder if anyone would know why (and how to fix) pictures becoming huge when I copy from anywhere and paste on my Word (2003) or email (WLMail)? I’ve been searching and searching and can’t find a solution. I tried to reduce them one by one by pulling them in, from their 4 angles, but they don’t get reduced in 2 or 3 pullings but in very many pullings until I get them to the small size I need them.

Thanks ever so very much for any ideas.

8. Adela says:

Forgot to add that another possibility for the problem this person has:

“When I do a print screen of my desktop and paste in Word, I get a blank box with dashes, yet it works perfectly when I paste in Outlook. Is there any particular reason for this?”

the reason might be that the pictures are SO huge when pasted on Word that they start appearing on the 2nd or 3rd page and only part of them as the entire pic doesn’t fit on one page. At least this is what I get when I copy/paste to my Word from anywhere.

9. Kaviraj says:

Awesome guys, i had this problem and was always viewing the docs in a non-normal mode, this is an easy fix and will never forget it…thanks..

10. Marg says:

What is the problem if the graphic shows up in the print menu, but it prints a black box instead of the graphic?

11. Marg says:

What is the problem if the graphic shows up fine in the print menu, but it prints a black box instead of the graphic?

12. sajib says:

Sorry
    I’m not happy because my problem same but not solved.
    I’m copying from manuals (installed software help) & past MS word but each and every thing ok but no any one images can not display Or shown & the image area is blank, when i click the image area then select something but not show image.
    please can u help me?
    I’m use office 2007
    please, please ……
    help me ….?

13. ahamed says:

most helpful on the displayed image in a Word document.

14. Angela says:

By default, Word will embed the picture in your document. You can reduce the size of your document by linking to the picture instead. To do this, in the Choose a Picture dialog box, select options at the bottom and then the Link to File box.

15. prasad challa says:

in MS WORD 2010 Version
    steps for showing the picture through the place holder option. follow given below
    1.go to file menu->Options->advanced->show document content->deselect show picture placeholders->ok