Shockwave Flash Has Crashed on Google Chrome

Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, System Tune-Up Help

Carol from Fairhope, AL writes:

Hi, I keep getting a yellow banner across the top of the page saying….a plug-in (Shockwave Flash) crashed. What is it, and do I need it? What should I do? I use Google Chrome. Thanks for all the good you do.

Shockwave Flash is a plugin that handles the flash content on a website. You don’t necessarily need Flash, but it’s likely that you’ll want it for many of the things you do online.

If you don’t know what flash content is, think of YouTube or any browser game. The platform on which the game or video is played is Flash. Almost all Facebook games use Flash.

The cause of this crash is actually pretty simple, and it’s very specific to Google Chrome for one reason. Google Chrome comes with its own built-in Flash player, rather than you needing to install it from the Adobe website.

When installing Flash from the Adobe website, Chrome’s built-in version of Flash starts to conflict with Adobe’s version.

Here’s how to tell if that is the cause of your problem. Go to the address bar for Chrome and type about:plugins, then press enter.

aboutplugins

You’ll then see a list of installed plug-ins. Look down the list for Flash (2 Files).

flash2files

The simplest fix for this is to navigate over to https://www.google.com/chrome/srt/ and run the Software Removal Tool. It’ll clear up any conflicts that you may have on your Chrome browser, and should fix the constant crashing of Shockwave Flash!

~ Jake

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Shockwave Flash Has Crashed on Google Chrome”

1. John Berger says:

I did as you suggested and ran the Software Removal Tool because I also have this problem. It reset everything but I still have the crashes

• Mike says:

I also have the very same issue. I’ve deleted all my cache, history, deleted chrome, re-installed it… downloaded the google SRT (software removal tool). Also checked my plugins – all good.

It still crashes. This is weird.

• Mike says:

Also used ninite.com to update all my programs. This was suggested on another forum that did nothing to help the issue.

2. Carl Knowles says:

Very informative article, but it begs me to ask a couple of questions… You don’t explicitly say if “Adobe Flash Player (2 files)” is good or bad. After reading your instructions a couple of times I took it as bad. In addition to “Adobe Flash Player (2 files)” I also have “Java(TM) (2 files)”, “Microsoft Office (2 files)” and “Google Talk (2 files)”. Are all plugins with “(2 files)” potential sources of conflict and will the Software Removal Tool clean up all of these? Does it clean them all up running it once or does it need to be run multiple times to clean up every conflict?

3. Carl says:

Followup to earlier comment. I downloaded the latest “Software Removal Tool” and ran it. I was prompted that this would “reset” Chrome to the defaults. It found no problems and all of the plugins with “(2 files)” are still there. I need to say that I am NOT having any problems with Chrome, just wanted to be proactive and prevent having avoidable problems.

4. CGD says:

Not a great article/tip at all. You do not explain the “2 Files” thing and you have us blindly download the removal tool that wants to go nuclear and restore everything to original form (deleting all saved preferences). Stinks.

• Hi Carl,

Sorry to hear the trouble you’re having. To explain the 2 files thing, as you’ve put it, it just means there’s two versions associated with the program. This is a problem with Flash Player because it is the user-installed Flash player conflicting with Chrome’s own native Flash player.

As for the tool recommended here — I have personally used it. I have recommended it to others. I was recommended it when exploring this issue I was having. It did the job for all parties involved.

If there is another potential problem at hand here? Of course! Having done some research, I cannot seem to find any other potential causes. Doing some Google digging has produced no real reproducible results either.

I will, of course, be looking into this. To address the minority it hasn’t helped.

Thanks,
      Jake.

• Tom says:

Hi Jake-I too have the same problem. The only Shockwave plugin I show is the one integrated with Chrome, and there’s no other version under “Programs”. (Sony VAIO-Win 7, 64 bit). It’s worked fine for years but now (last couple of months) crashes just about every page load, reloads and runs fine on that page, until I open up another page, and the cycle starts again. Sounds like a pretty widespread problem, not just a minority’s.

5. fas says:

I have been having this problem off and on on my new laptop. However, looking at the Chrome plugins is showing me only 1 version of Flash running. So, I still have no idea what to do.

6. carol baker says:

whats happening now ,2 min game 20 min trouble

7. carol baker says:

samce message 2min game 20 min trouble

8. Abby says:

just go to about:plugins – then copy the file location of the plugin you want to remove, open the file location in your computer, and delete it. You will have to completely close chrome, but it works.

foureasthearts.com – abby

9. Abby says:

btw you have to open the + details option in the top right corner to see the file lacation

10. BDHende says:

Same issue here and have tried all the fixes I can find online but still crashing. Just about ready to switch browsers.

11. Ales says:

I have same problem. One version of flash and still crashes constantly!

12. BG says:

Same here constant “not responsive” only one flash installed (yes I pressed the plus sign). Same stupid “fix” no matter where I search. It’s mind boggling.

13. bill says:

Late to the meeting. I just started getting the Crashed – Reload banner AGAIN after a year or so. Don’t remember fix. Have only one version not 2. Recently had a (different) program update which FAILED but INSTALLED. Weird. I may try a Restore. My current version of Adobe Flash Player is 21 (something).
    Any new ideas?