So Long Hotmail, Hello Outlook.com

Monday, February 25th, 2013 by | Filed Under: E-Mail Help, MS Office Help, MS Outlook, Social Networking, Windows 8

Microsoft’s new Outlook.com is live, and  all Hotmail accounts were instantly changed over to Outlook.com accounts. They’re calling it “upgraded,” saying that Outlook.com will deliver “a beautiful, fresh and intuitive experience.” I’m not sure exactly what that means either.  But below, you can check out the new design.

If you’ve used Outlook on your office or home computer, the design should look somewhat familiar.

The changeover will be seamless for Hotmail customers. Their e-mail address, password and contacts will stay the same.

Microsoft promises that the new program will make it easy to send multiple photos and videos in a single message The new address book allows you incorporate your social media accounts into the contacts list. There are options to add Facebook, Twiter, LinkedIn, flickr, Google and Sina Weibo accounts.

The service is also integrated with Skype and allows Microsoft Office users to see and edit Office documents without leaving Outlook.  You can check it out at Outlook.com.

Tags: , , , ,

15 Responses to “So Long Hotmail, Hello Outlook.com”

1. Jonb says:

If this is there idea of a upgread,it is a bad joke.When i try to forward mail I only get a small part of my address book so I am unable to send mail to every one I want to with out having to type in the rest of the addresses.So I want my old hotmail box back, and if I don’t get it I will move to yahoo.

2. Patti says:

it did NOT automatically go to outlook. I have hotmail and I still have hotmail. If you go to the far right in hotmail anyway…there is “options”..it is there that I can switch to outlook if I want~which I don’t. There should be an “options” in outlook and you can switch back to Hotmail. I don’t like outlook either. It’s ugly,bland and very boring to look at. I’ll keep my hotmail as long as I possibly can thank you!

3. Jim. says:

Howdy. the problem I’m having with the new outlook is with the CC Bcc deal where with Hotmail i could hide others email addies but with this outlook even tho is shows the CC BCC i have had friends tell me it didn’t work and i don’t know how to correct it?
    any tips?
    thanks.
    Semper Fi.
    Jim.

4. Sheila Cruz says:

so now if you add all your social media contacts, the government can have access to your whole life.

5. Dave Hartigan says:

I don’t like it for a couple of reasons. When forwarding an email and you screw up adding contacts to your forward forget it. It jumps all over the place and speaking of contacts I am probably just an old fart and cant find them to edit the or delete them or addmore?

6. Loretta says:

I have two email accounts, one I run the new version of Outlook and the other is Hotmail. I found that the new Outlook is a lot harder to use. Everything is hid and you have to go and hunt for it, like with the older version that they used to run many years ago, when it was free with Microsoft office. Hotmail has a lot more bells and whistles that are easier to use than Outlook has, in my opinion.

7. Diane Jones says:

I have been on this new Outlook for three days and I hate it.
    It has lost features that were great on Windows Live. It takes forever to move. I can’t find the address book at all. You have to pull down menus to do anything that before you just clicked the word. It wastes time, key strokes. It’s awful. The first day it took me 2 hrs to finally read one message. I would have been done on Windows Live. I only come on once a day for about 2-3 hours and I sign off and turn off the computer.
    I don’t give a darn about Facebook, Twitter, or any other social pages, when I read my email that is all I do. I am a senior and I am being discriminated against. I feel this new program is an injustice to us.

8. Jane Doe says:

I lost over 1/2 of my contacts to hotmail upgrades and now this outlook crap please. It gives new meaning to the word update. PS nothing is worse than relying on your online account to keep your contacts emails intact. I’ve had the same hotmail account for over a decade and its been only this past year where something goofy happened with my account and wiped out most of my saved contacts. I know that backing up my contacts may be inconvenient with adding tedious temporary contacts but I guess that’s what I’ll have to do from now on.

9. Az says:

Hate outlook! 20 years switched me without asking. I see everyone says no way to change back so can I then just have the emails forwarded too a new email browser say Google as after they switched me i opened a account there. So basically can I have my outlook crap sent to Google?

10. Right says:

So Outlook sucks, hello yahoo!

11. DeborahWales says:

I can’t find my email contacts addresses anywhere! But somehow every Facebook contact has somehow found its way into Outlook – even people I have no desire to send private emails to. But I still can’t find my friends and family email addresses. Horrendous!

12. wawa says:

In the forced transition from Hotmail to Outlook, Microsoft lost all my emails, personal folders and contacts! Can I do something against Microsoft?

13. Darleen Henning says:

I HATE OutLook! Almost everyone else I have talked to agrees with me.What happened to the Outlook Express Plus? I paid for that and never even got it at all. Give us back our outlook express…. PLEASE. Also the money I paid you for the outlook express PLUS. Darleen Henning…..

14. karen Dean says:

Since changing over( after having no choice about it) i can not find my contacts anywhere! The few that are on my people only have telephone numbers which are really no good when i want to mail them! I spent hours trying to find my brothers email addy to forward a mail and had to give up,Its absolutely ridiculous!…Im seriously considering closing the account and going to googlemail.