Still Love Windows XP? You Aren’t Alone

Monday, March 11th, 2013 by | Filed Under: Windows 8

When sales of PCs (Personal Computers) took a 6% dip at the end of 2012, many said it must be because people were switching to tablets or smartphones.  But the real reason behind declining sales could be that that people are keeping their old computers longer.

The web -tracking company Net Applications reported that around 45% of Internet traffic from Windows systems came from systems Windows 7, a little over 5% from Windows Vista and 42% from Windows XP.  That matches up with figures that say Windows 8 only has about 2% of the Windows operating system market.

It used to be the case that you needed to upgrade your computer every couple of years to keep up with changes in software and hardware requirements, but better processors inside computers and the switch to more web-based activity has changed that.  For most casual users, what they have works just fine for everyday tasks.

There is a dark cloud on the horizon for happy XP users, though. Microsoft is discontinuing support of XP in April of 2014.  What that means is that there will be no new security updates, free or paid online support options, or patches for non-security bugs.

That doesn’t mean XP will stop working, of course. But it is something to keep in mind if you’ve thought about upgrading to a new operating system.

Tags: , , ,

11 Responses to “Still Love Windows XP? You Aren’t Alone”

1. Barb says:

Love XP, Windows 8 will make people buy Apple products. Definitely not user friendly if geeks must buy a manual! I wpild have replaced m y computer sooner if I had known. Linux here I come!

2. Jack R Rennels says:

Windows 8 ( crap!!! )

3. Ray says:

This is just another example of corporate America pushing change on americans in the name of sales and profits. The age old adage of : if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it is all but gone. While many products ha e become cheaper to buy than to fix; the “new” items have a sborter life expectancy ~to push sales. Now you have a product that that works perfectly fine, and does not break; so it MUST be phased out ALL IN THE NAME OF PROFITS.. Shameful !!!!@greed.com

4. Jeanne says:

I have a Windows 7 laptop; however, I still prefer my XP and can be on it for hours.

5. Neville says:

I am very comfortable with XP still using on my desktop

6. Ray says:

Just another ploy by a major company forcing sales on consumers to bolster sales, and profits. The age old adage : if it isn’t broke don’t fix it seems to be gone. Now it is cheaper to buy a new item than to fix the broken item, and if it does not break phase it out. SHAMEFUL. See profit at all cost@greed.com

7. Karen says:

Didn’t really like Win 7 but was going to get one before XP was “outdated” But of course they changed to Win 8 2 weeks prior to me being ready to buy new computer. I bought the 8… Bought it on Sat. took out of box on Sun put back in box on Thurs and returned on Sat. This was a $750 machine that crashed 4 times in that 4 days. It would say, “Your OS is unstable please do a restore!” Go to restore, “your data will be saved but your programs will be lost!” All I had installed on new machine was MS Office 10. I am sure glad I didn’t try to add anything else. Windows 8 is far from an advance to Win 7 let alone XP. Seems like people can’t read so have to use icons. Icons much harder to read. The back ground running in Win 8 is lacking a whole lot. I will take my XP in for a proper cleaning. Check out to see what might be getting weak and just keep it!

8. [...] 7 before that time. If I have to switch how do I switch to Windows 7?Answer:  As I pointed out in this article, you are not alone.  Estimates say 40% of Windows users are still running XP. A whole lot of [...]

9. Boots Stone says:

Where do I get a Windows 7 disc to replace my XP. I have 7 on my laptop and like it very well.
    Boots Stone

10. Marilyn Samuels says:

I have Windows XP with all 3 upgrades. I use this desktop computer almost every day for a variety of tasks and love it! Recently bought a laptop with Windows 7 mainly to use when traveling. I much prefer the XP and am sorry to learn Microsoft will be discontinuing support for this version. I’ll wait until 2014 and if nothing else comes up, will install Windows 7. Microsoft doesn’t leave much choice!

11. sara says:

Good post about computer it is very useful for users

Spyware Infected to Your Laptop