After reading my article on how to stop adware on Internet Explorer, many of you wanted to know how to take care of the issue in Firefox. Here’s a step-by-step guide for handling the problem.
Adware is a type of malware which displays advertising, pop ups and can get quite annoying when you are trying to use your browser. Adware is usually packaged with freeware, and free downloads and can be very difficult to get rid of.
When you start browsing online, the adware will come to action and start showing advertising on your page, and also perform downloads to even more viruses and adware. It will cause many pop ups to appear on your screen which advertise products or scam sites. It is a common annoyance for every internet user, and can really disrupt your session on the internet.
However, the good news is that you can stop adware from hijacking your browser very simply and easily.
1. Open Mozilla Firefox from the Start Menu or the Desktop
2. Open the “Settings” button which is in the top right corner and is displayed as icon with three lines.
3. A number of options will appear in a drop-down menu. Select the option which says “Add-Ons” and click on it.
4. Select the Extensions option on the left.
5. A list of extensions will appear. Check the extensions which are currently enabled on your browser. Look for extensions which you didn’t intend to download or include words such as “Optimizer”, “Coupons”, “Deals”, “Adverts” as these words are commonly included in adware extension names.
6. Once you have found an extension that looks dodgy, it’s time to remove it. Click on the button “Disable” and it will take the extension out of action.
7. Then, click on the button “Remove” which will delete the extension from the list completely.
8. Close the browser by selecting the x button and re-open it.
Your browser should now be clear of all adware.