Tell Excel to Leave You Alone!
Yesterday’s topic of formulas linked one workbook to another and as you may recall, in the end, MS Excel kept asking if you wanted to update the information. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but if you control both workbooks and you know there’s no security problem, it can get somewhat annoying.
So, you must be asking, “Can I get Excel to stop asking and just go ahead with the update automatically?”
That’s definitely a good question, so let’s get right down to it. Should you decide that updating is always the right thing to do and you want Excel to stop asking and just do it, simply follow these easy steps.
If you’re using Excel 2003 or older:
- Go to the Tools menu, Options choice.
- Under the Edit tab, uncheck the “Ask to Update Automatic Links” checkbox.
- Click OK.
If you use Excel 2007:
- You need to start with the Office Button and then click on the Excel Options button found there.
- Once you’re in the Excel Options dialogue window, you need to go to the Advanced Options, “When calculating this workbook” section.
- Uncheck the “Update links to other documents” choice.
- Click OK.
Now, you’re all set. Automatic updates without a second thought!