Tell People About Computer Clubs

Tuesday, April 5th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips

Terry writes:  I can’t count the times I’ve read something in the Tech Tips that I needed right that minute.  Y’all do the best job.  Ive been a loyal reader for a long time.  Love it!!

Won’t you please give a shout out to computer clubs/groups/user groups?  Some people don’t even know they exist.  I’ve been a member of the Wisconsin All-computer Users Group(WAUC) for 20+ years.  It’s so awesome.  And….the best part of it is, the more you involve yourself, the more you learn.  Our motto is, “Let us help you get the most out of your computer.  We are located in Milwaukee, WI and I know you have very loyal readers in this area.

happycomputercrop

That’s a great idea Terry, there are a lot of local computer groups out there that help their members out a lot. So how about this. If you’re a member of a local computer group or an organization that offers tech help to people, why don’t you let us know in the comments?  Groups and non-profits only, no businesses, okay?

Tags: , , ,

18 Responses to “Tell People About Computer Clubs”

1. Paul Flynn says:

TUGNET (The User Group Network) In Granada Hills, California meets twice monthly and has been in existence more than 30 years. Composed mainly of seniors. I have been a member since 1984. Tugnet.Org.

2. Saverio Parapugna says:

Hello from NY. We have a cool computer club called WPCUG.ORG. located in Westchester County, ny. Looking to find ways to go new members. We average 16 workshops a month.

3. Debra Johnson says:

I run the Windmill Village of Punta Gorda Computer Club. It meets once a month and we have talked on Windows 10, the iPad and now this month is the iPhone. I can’t wait to teach them about “Hey Siri”! I get calls several times a week about how to do this or that. I have tried to teach them to Google it but they say they don’t know what to ask…I say just ask what you just asked me!

4. Mike Seiler says:

I have been a member of the Central Kentucky Computer Society (CKCS) since 1993. CKCS is an all volunteer organization (all instructors and aids, office workers, board members and officers are volunteers). We teach classes on Windows 7 and 10, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Photography(how to use digital cameras to take good pictures), and using digital software to edit pictures. Also, we have special groups that meet every month on subjects such as photography, Lynix, Data base management, iMac and iPad, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.

We have an office, a computer lab where we teach our classes and a large meeting room in Lexington, KY at 160 Moore DR. Out phone is 859-373-1000 and we have volunteers at out office Monday to Friday from 10 am to 4 pm. Our web site is: http://www.ckcs.org.

5. B. Kitzmiller says:

Could someone please give me some ideas on how to organize and start a computer club in my area?

6. Bernie Blessman says:

We have a very active senior computer club here in White Rock BC Canada.
    With over 200 members we meet weekly and listen to presentation from outside experts or our own techies.
    We also share a lot of info from the net including Worldstart and always appreciate details about a technology that did not exist when we grew up.
    Here is our website http://wrscc.ca/ we subscribe to all WS newsletters, thanks for helping us learn more.

7. Dennis Smith says:

CAMUG (Canton, Alliance, Massillon Users Group) has been helping computer users in the Canton, OH area for over 30 years. We meet the 3rd Monday of every month at Holy Cross Lutheran Church (North Market St and Diamond – 3 traffic lights north of Walsh University). We would love to welcome folks interested in computers. We are a member of APCUG (Association of PC User Groups).

8. Janice says:

Hello from the Brighton Computer Club of Brighton, Ontario, Canada and surrounding area. Home to about 200 members in existence for over 13 years our moto is “People helping people” and hold informative meetings about twice a month regarding digital technology in daily life. brightoncomputerclub.org.

9. Harold Myers says:

http://www.firstsuncity.com/ I am a member of the computer club here in Sun City. They teach classes to help the seniors learn more of the computer systems different programs. I don’t attend the classes because I know more than teach. But, World start gave me permission to let the instructors use the windows 10 video to help them teach. What I do is help the seniors that are on small income clean up and repair their computers (NO Charge) Some members of the club refer me to the people that they know can’t afford to go to computer place to clean up their systems. I have used Worldstart for many years and enjoy their site.

10. Phil Ball says:

Prescott (AZ) Computer Society in Prescott Arizona. We’ve existed for over three decades and still going strong. Our motto, “Share what you know and learn what you don’t.” Website: http://www.pcs4me.com/

11. Murray White says:

For 16 years, most of which as an Admin, I have been a member of the PC Tech room in Paltalk where, continuously throughout the day, the room members and Admins help users solve computer issues and offer links to freeware programs that will help users solve issues in the future. We think of ourselves as a “teaching hospital”. Paltalk is a freeware product and is a nice voice chat program with many different rooms for users of which PC Tech is merely one. Anyone needing immediate assistance can simply ask a question in text or “raise the hand” to request the use of the mic. There are many Admins who are able to offer assistance on problems that are normally non-physical repair based topics. The Admins work as a team and all help is done in the room without requiring the use of any remote programs. Perhaps readers of Worldstart would find the room of interest. Simply download the program from http://www.paltalk.com and when installed click on show all rooms and go to Computer and Tech and find the one named PC Tech. There are other tech rooms but PC Tech is the longest running and came to Paltalk from Firetalk over 16 years ago. BTW — I am simply a user and have ZERO to do with Paltalk in any other form.

12. Meha Smith says:

Fantastic-
    Thanks for posting – great to see so many.
    I do a small study group-
    but I’m interested in getting in with a group like you have listed here! Thanks for posting!
    RegularReader~ :-)
    PS…Just installed 10 and I’m not afraid anymore – due to your giving me the confidence to do so!! TNX

13. Carol Harris says:

http://www.sacpcug.org – PC club for Sacramento, CA – we will be celebrating our 34th year in July. Mostly senior members now, but back when this whole business was new we had over 3000 members. Today, kids seem to know how to use computers the day they are born. The clubs are good though to keep us all informed and to have someplace to learn new stuff.

14. elliottt bogart says:

I belong to a club in marion county florida. We ‘ve been in existence for over 20 years and average about 150 members.We have a web site that is full of answers to your questions and other hints. Though you must be a member to ask a question, I’m sure its already been answered Check it out, you’re going to like it http://orcomputerclub.blogspot.com/

15. Terry Harvey says:

Meha Smith….
    You can find a computer user’s club in your area by going to http://www.apcug2.org. I hope you find a great group in your area!
    Terry

16. Stu Silverman says:

In Florida we have a statewide group called the Florida Association of Computer User Groups (FACUG). We have organized annual conferences aboard cruise ships. A really great way to spend your days at sea. We are now in the planning stages of a technology tour, this October, of some of the world class laboratories in Israel. We have a great price for a16 day tour of Israel and several labs, such as the Techno, Weissman Institute etc. This is great for those who love technology and travel. For more information, contact itastoursfl@gmail.com.

17. Stu Silverman says:

The above article has some auto correct errors. It it’s the Technion and Weitzman Institute. It is also available to all states.

18. Timothy Kekeis, President says:

The Chicago Computer Society (CCS at ccs.org) is a distributed user organization of many sub-groups in the Chicagoland area. We are a not-for-profit for over 30 years who’s moto is Users helping Users. Anyone can attend any of the meetings with the hope of them joining and contributing to the betterment of others.