Whether you are a professional designer, artist or just like to draw and sketch, these 5 free Android apps will surely come in handy! I selected my top 5 favorite Android apps for designers and artists alike. These apps will help you edit photos, quickly sketch your ideas, create digital paintings and even find and save beautiful color palettes. All of these Android apps for designers have been tested by myself. Each app review will have a short description of what the app does, with pros and cons, so it will be easier for you to choose the right design app for you. Here they are:
If you know a thing or two about design, then you have probably heard of Photoshop. This is the free version of the Android app. It has some really cool features and it will help you create and edit beautiful images.
- Lots of basic, quick photo editing features, such as: crop, straighten, rotate, and flip your photos, one-touch adjustment for contrast, exposure, and white balance, blemish removal, filters and more.
- Social sharing available.
- Clear interface.
- Noise reduction isn’t free.
- No text tool.
You can use Skitch to snap and mark ideas with simple tools and send them on in an instant. This combines both productivity with design. It’s more work-friendly and will surely help you a lot. It’s not limited to designers, as it can make everybody’s life a lot easier.
- Easy to use. Increases productivity!
- Includes watermarking.
- Can be used to resize images.
- Doesn’t have an erase feature.
- Can’t be used to record videos.
- Can’t share directly to Evernote.
Autodesk SketchBook Mobile Express is a paint/drawing application, ideal for small screen Android devices. You can use it to digitally capture your ideas and create artwork on the go.
- Many brushes to choose from and also a great variety of brush options.
- Possibility to export layered PSD files.
- Sometimes lags.
- 1024 x 682 is the maximum size.
- Some features may be difficult to work with (such as layer transformation).
This app lets you transform your phone or tablet into a digital sketchbook. It has a great variety of features and brushes you can use to create beautiful works of art.
- 70+ brushes and tools.
- Color adjustment.
- Infinite undo and redo.
- Lots of blending modes and effects.
- The free version has many limitations.
ColorSnap is a great tool you can use to create your own color palettes! This app easily matches images you capture with your Android phone’s camera to Sherwin-Williams paint colors. It instantly creates beautiful color palettes for you.
- Great sharing features.
- Easy to use interface.
- The color may not be a 100% accurate match to the paint suggested, as the app doesn’t consider light sources and other things that may change how a color appears in an image.