looking for freeware

Two-Factor Authentication: Why Aren’t You Using It?

Monday, October 17th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Security Help

We’ve talked before about the importance of two-factor authentication. What it means is that there’s an additional step involved logging into your accounts. Maybe you answer security questions in addition to typing your password. Or you get a code in a text message.  So even if a hacker figures out your password, there’s an extra hassle that might just scare them off. Nearly every kind of account from email to social media to your bank account offers a form of two-factor authentication, but a lot of people just don’t use it.

So I have a question for you. Do you use two-factor authentication on your accounts?  If not, why don’t you?  Let me know in the comments.

9 Responses to “Two-Factor Authentication: Why Aren’t You Using It?”

1. Patricia says:

I don’t use 2-factor authentication because mostly, it’s “get a text message” and I don’t have a phone that receives text messages. As you already know, some sites have “built-in” 2 factor authentication because they set a cookie if you indicate you are using a usual, private computer. If you don’t have the cookie, then you have to go through text (I can’t), phone call to number on file, various questions, code in e-mail, or some such. When one has an ambitious housecleaning day and deletes the cache and all the cookies, then one has to go through the authentication process again. That effectively discourages cookie deletion, because one either has to read all the cookies and select those to be deleted, or go through the authentication process again, either one of which is a major pain in the you-know-what.

2. Allan says:

I don’t because I have a very strong, long password, which alphanumeric with upper and lower case. I also don’t use the internet for banking; if I did, I would use two step.

3. Tom says:

Because the link did not work !

4. Bruce Amsel says:

I cannot use 2 step as I do not have a cell phone.

5. Lonnie Hobbs says:

The idea of sending a second code by email sounds great but it is poor as time is eaten up waiting for the second to come by email as well as having to get through the blacklist software. Time I get the second one, the first has timed out and it all starts over so I don’t use that site. Most hacking is not through some poor smuck password getting used. it is by poor firewalls, etc. It is easier to blame on the user rather than face poor security software.

6. Lorne says:

Most passwords can be broken. Most locks can be picked. In 26 years I have been lucky and never been
    broken into. My wife had you yahoo account broken into a few years ago, but a change of password
    fixed that. All these weird account that everyone and his dog wants you to open when you go on their site.
    Those I just use garbage passwords, and reset the password if I ever want to go back. Places like Cosco
    Dici-Key, Garmin, etc.
    Passwords will soon be a thing of the past. Biometrics is much safer and faster. Just watch all these people
    with the new iPhones.

7. Joe Nunya says:

I like it. It may be a hassle at times when I’m in a hurry, but it helps when I’ve forgotten my passwords and such. I think it’s a good idea.

8. Steve Knopf says:

OK. So how do you do you acquire 2 step? Or should it come with the various links that you sign on to?

9. Bea Ray says:

I use two-step authentication when it is available. It took some time to get accustomed to using; but now that I have, I like it.

As for biometrics, I like the concept but my experience with a thumbprint biometric on my laptop makes me wary of it. Frequently, I end up just entering my answer to the secret question which I have.