Updating To Android Lollipop

Tuesday, May 19th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Android, Smartphones

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been out for awhile, but not available to all Android users. When Apple has an update to its iOS operating system, the update is made available to all eligible devices at once, much the same way that Windows does updates.

But since the Android system is just a little bit different on every device, users have to wait until the manufacturer of their device comes up with version of the update customized for that device.

Just last Friday, I was checking for the availability of updates. I did that by going to Settings – Then About Device.  A screen indicated that updates were available.

systemupdatelollipo

I’ll warn you that when you do this update, make sure your phone is on WiFi and that you have it plugged in to the power cord. This is a massive update that uses a lot of data and it also takes a long time. My husband did the update without plugging the phone in and it took his battery power down to only 20% from nearly full. I think by the time I’d applied all of the updates it took nearly an hour. You won’t be able to use your phone for calls or texts. This is definitely not a background update. First it took about 10 minutes to download the update via a WiFi connection.

softwareupdate2

Once downloaded, it was another 10 minutes to install.

updateinstall

After the first update installed and my phone restarted, another system update popped up.

systemupdate4

That update also took a long time to download.

softwareupdateprogress2

Then about another 15 minutes to install.

lollipoppart2

I hit a bit of a snag because I didn’t have the required 2 GB of space available. I had to take a couple of minutes and remove some lesser-used apps.

deleteforroom

Then the update was finally able to install. So after a little more than an hour, I had finally updated to Lollipop.  Here’s my homescreen before and after. I noticed that the icons for built-in apps are rounded and look more cartoonish.

lollipopbeforeafter

The transitions do have a more fluid look to them. My main takeaway is what I feel is a hideous color scheme that I cannot change for included Android Apps. Take a look at Messages. Every time I sent or received a text this weekend, I winced.

messagingyellow

Making a phone call now requires starting at my least favorite color on the planet.

greendialer

I had no issues with anything slowing down or apps not functioning, but my co-worker Audra, who has an LG G2 phone, is experiencing a slowdown and her weather widget no longer functions, so she had to replace it with another app. Here’s a look at her before and after.

lgbeforeafter

Like me, she’s not enthused about the color scheme in the default Android apps. How this update reacts on your device will depend on the device. I haven’t used Lollipop long enough to tell you about the new features, but I’ll get to work on exploring it right now.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Updating To Android Lollipop”

1. Jerry Dickinson says:

I agree with you on the hideous color scheme, especially in messages.

2. Jerry Dickinson says:

I also had to go see my local Samsung rep because the upgrade shut off the sync with Google and I lost my Google calendar on the phone, and I didn’t know how to resync it.

3. Ather says:

Sadly, it’s still not available for everyone. My Galaxy S4 Mini is still at 4.4.2

• Robert Payne says:

Ather, be very glad you haven’t been “approved” for your upgrade. Until the bugs are worked out (I understand “fixes” are coming but not available yet) you might want to avoid doing anything with this crappy upgrade.

4. Robert Payne says:

The latest Lollipop upgrade is a battery drainer piece of cr*p. Whomever decided to release this garbage before the bugs were worked out should meet me in a dark alley so I may explain the proper way to introduce an upgrade. My perfectly working, beautiful LGG2 is now almost worthless to me. The color scheme is something best made for downtown Miami. The new symbols are ugly as well. If I could restore my phone to it’s previous OS version, I would certainly do it. I will be dumping this piece of garbage asap and looking at alternatives. If you haven’t upgraded to this new OS version, It would be a good idea to look into what it will do to your phone.

5. Betty Lou says:

Thanks for the tip. A friend’s Samsung Galaxy included Lollipop in its update. She hates it but cannot uninstall it. Good luck.