What Can’t You Live Without?

Wednesday, September 9th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Smartphones

Usually you have questions for me, but today I have a question for you. Is there a piece of tech that you once scoffed at that now you don’t know how you’d get along without it?

Smartphone Data Usage

For me it’s my smartphone. At first, I didn’t get why you’d want something that had a bunch of different apps and I didn’t think a camera phone could be very good at all.

Now it’s my primary means of accessing the Internet, sending e-mails, messaging and even my primary camera. In fact, the thing I do the least on my phone is make phone calls! Most all of my electronic communication is via texts or messaging. What piece of tech would you be lost without? Your laptop, your GPS, your tablet or your Apple Watch?  Let me know in the comments.

Tags: , , , , ,

35 Responses to “What Can’t You Live Without?”

1. Ann Krummel says:

I would be lost, literally, without my GPS as I have no sense of direction, and being both driver and navigator, I find it difficult, and dangerous, to cope with maps while in motion.

2. kris says:

I don’t have a smart phone period. Im not on demand.

3. kris says:

and by the way I cant live without my body ..my life the rest is superfluous

4. Gloria says:

My deskeop HP. Since I am housebound it is my way of keeping in touch with friens with email and online I can keep in wouch with the world.

5. Jamie says:

I would have to say TOILET. But then again what would I do without a smartphone while I do my duty :~

6. Shirley Bussman says:

I have always had a cell phone just for an emergency. My son bought me a smartphone. I feel like I’m always babysitting it. Hardly ever use it. Right now it isn’t working just right. I have to admit I don’t know what I would do without my microwave and computer. I finally broke down and bought a HDTV that I love even though I don’t watch TV very much. I had a good 30 year old console that worked just fine. I decided to replace it because I didn’t want to die before it did. Darn thing just wouldn’t quit. Windows 10 keeps failing on me. I really don’t care. They have been trying since the day it rolled out. Love you column,read it every day without fail.

7. Ian C Fyvie says:

My pacemaker … do not think I would live long without IT :)

8. Mark says:

I have all types of electronic devices but I don’t watch much television nor do I spend very much time on the computer. I’ve left my cell phone at home and not remember it until I’m half way to where I’m going. So if I had to pick one thing I couldn’t do without is my books and I’m not talking about the ones you read on Kindle or those other e-readers. Just good old fashion hardback and soft covered books.

9. e says:

We used to get along just fine with out ANY of this high end tech stuff… Taking a call would mean you sat at the bottom of the steps in the living room and had your call, you could not take-make a call while on the toilet or in the relaxing bath tub. Re-heating something meant you had to preheat the oven or get a pan out of the cupboard, not push a few buttons and start. Computers were things that scientists used, and the government… If we wanted to look something up, we dug into our wallet or purse and dug out our library card… And you know what, EVERYONE survived just fine…

I do not have a smart phone, but do have a dumb one we keep in our car, just in case. I do like the ease of reheating food with a microwave, but sure could survive with out one just fine. I would honestly miss my internet connection that is used for research and learning more about what ever subject I’m interested in at the moment, but I would survive just fine with out it I’m sure… (I’ve kept my library card).

Many of your parents, pretty much ALL of your grandparents did just fine with out any of this ‘high tech’ crap… If they didn’t, you wouldn’t be here in the first place………

• EZgoing says:

The rest of my name ‘disappeared’ on me just as I was hitting send for the message above… Never had that problem with a pencil and paper, unless using the other end of the pencil part…. LOL..

• cynthia says:

Generations upon generations did fine with no phones or radios at all. People survived for a long, long time without stoves or ovens in the home. Everything is relative to what you’re used to using.

10. Evelyn Billings says:

For business purposes, my laptop otherwise when in the car, since hubby does not navigate effectively always, I love my Tilly, my garmin gps. I have a phone that takes pix and texts and gmail and even can make phone calls and will do but I still like my laptop better than the small screen pone and keyboard.

11. John says:

Since I’m old school and was using a VCR up till 18 months ago and switched to a PVR.(DVR) I would have to say I would miss my PVR. I do have a phone in the car that my kids gave me for emergency’s.

12. Mauricio says:

I am retired. My Apple laptop is absolutely indispensable for my sanity. It keeps me busy, informed, in touch and generally out of trouble. I do my financial transactions here. I don’t quiet trust the smart phone yet, I use it just for phone calls and text msgs –and thats great too.

13. Pat Schaniel says:

I could not live without a microwave oven. I would likely starve to death.