What Will Windows 10 Look Like?

Monday, July 27th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Windows 10

As the arrival date for Windows 10 draws near, we keep getting more and more questions about the new operating system, including this one from Sandra:  I have signed up for the Win 10 upgrade and I wonder if you can show me what I’ll see when it opens? I’m using Win 7 now, will it be similar and will I easily be able to get to my stuff the way I do in 7?

Well Sandra, since I have been working hard on our guide to Windows 10, I can answer that question.  Here’s what your desktop will look like. Of course, your desktop may have different programs on it.

windows-10-desktop

Now let’s take a look at that Start Button.

windows-10-desktop-start-button

Click it to open your Start Menu.

windows-10-desktop-full-menu

Let’s take a closer look.

windows-10-desktop-start-menu

Oh, and what do we have over here – Live Tiles.

windows-10-desktop-live-tiles

As far as getting to your stuff, it has never been easier. Simply typing in or saying what you want to see to Cortana gets you an instant result. The All Apps button will get you to any program and File Explorer is right there on the Start Menu to make browsing a breeze. As I said, we’ve got a great guide to Windows 10 on the way and we’ll get much more in-depth about how easy it is to find what you need.

Tags: ,

11 Responses to “What Will Windows 10 Look Like?”

1. Bonni says:

Can we put our pictures on the desktop like we do now.. Who wants to have the blue screen staring at us.. our background is our familiar place..

not screen savers but the desk top.. can we have our picture here?

2. Sargent1usmc says:

Suppose after I install win 10, I don’t like it, can I switch back to win 7? If not, can I run a dual boot system and have both 10 and 7 on it?

• cynthia says:

Switching back is not intended to be an option. You can run a dual boot, but you’ll have to pay for a Windows 10 license. You get a free upgrade of your Windows 7 license to Windows 10, not an additional licence.

3. MaryLou VanWey says:

I use Google Chrome. What will happen to that? Will it appear on my desktop?

4. Frances Head says:

I don’t have a microphone or headset, how will I deal with Cortana?

• cynthia says:

If you don’t have a microphone, you can purchase an inexpensively or just type your questions into Cortana’s search box.

5. Janet Robinson says:

Will I be able to “personalize” Windows 10 using the Advance Appearance Settings? I need to enlarge the slider bar, making the font bigger, etc. Thanks in advance for any information.

Jan

6. Jack Merk says:

I’m concerned about how one goes about getting the windows 10 upgrade and how the 7 is upgraded to 10 on the computer. I wonder if it comes on a disk or if it is it downloaded and if it is possible for a less talented technology guy and install it.

• cynthia says:

It’s an upgrade that functions like an update, so it just downloads. You really don’t have to do much of anything, but hit OK a few times. You could purchase it separately on a disc if you want, but it’s no easier to install that way.