Who Even Uses Internet Explorer?

Saturday, December 17th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Using The Internet

A reader wrote in response to our articles on Internet Explorer  “Who uses Internet Explorer, anymore? It is not secure.  What about Firefox?”

Right now, about 23% of Windows users use Internet Explorer. That trails behind the Chrome browser’s 55% of the market share, but it’s still double the 11% of users of Firefox. Microsoft’s Edge has just cracked the 5% mark and Safari comes in at around 4%. All other browsers combined don’t even crack 2% of total users.

iecropped

As for security, with the end of Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8, security for Internet Explorer isn’t so much of an issue.  All of the major browsers are fairly secure as long as you keep your protection up-to-date and practice good web behavior.

Internet Explorer’s share is shrinking, but there are still many business programs and devices that depend on it to operate, so expect Microsoft to support this browser for the foreseeable future.

Which browser are you using?  Let us know in the comments.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Who Even Uses Internet Explorer?”

1. Tony says:

I use Firefox, but have been seriously contemplating switching to Chrome.

2. Virginia says:

I use Firefox on the recommendation of my computer guru.

3. Ian C Fyvie says:

I have used Opera for years on various computers and with its built in VPN it one of the best browsers I have used.

4. Kelly from Barefoot Bay, FL says:

I use Microsoft Edge.

5. Kelly from Barefoot Bay, FL says:

I use Edge as I like Windows 10.

6. Andy Anderson says:

I have all of these on my old Dell Inspiron 519, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, as-well-as Internet (Chromodo) and use tham all all the time with no trouble except Google Chrome will no longer be supporting Vista Home Premium 64Bit. I do not worry about viruses or any of the other pesky BS that tries to get on our computers as I have, what I consider to be, one of the best Anti-Viruses that can be loaded, from Comodo Internet Security.

7. Pam Harrod says:

Firefox has just let us down badly, going so slow and when trying to speed it up they suggested reinstalling which we did and no better plus they then start pushing for donations. Went over to Microsoft Edge and moved our bookmarks/favourites etc there and set up the home page we prefer and find it really quite good, so I guess we will be staying with Microsoft Edge for now.

8. Lamar says:

I only use Firefox unless it is down, then I use Comodo Ice Dragon.

9. Ernest White says:

I use Google Chrome now

10. Bev says:

Internet Explorer 11 or Chrome. Firefox caused many slow down issues on lap top.

11. Cookie says:

I use 6 browsers. All of them do something different. Sea Monkey for it’s edit properties on web sites, Firefox because I like its set up at the top, Edge because some programs work with it that don’t in others, Int. Exp. because that’s where most of my bookmarks are and I just downloaded Google Chrome. My banking works nicely in that one. And, I have an older copy of Netscape 7.0 that I also like for it’s editing properties and are the best for making any changes I want.

12. Sonjia says:

I still use IE, sometimes Chrome. Like IE better. I have Win. 10.

13. Gordon says:

I use chrome but they have abandon Vista so their messages telling me they no longer support vista or xp is very annoying after seeing it every time I open the browser. I wish there was a way to stop the notifications. I read about one way but it only works when I click on the chrome icon. If I click on a link in e-mail it shows the message again. It is very annoying. I tried to do the update to windows 7 on my vista desktop computer but the computer goes into a restart loop. When I did the free windows 10 upgrade from windows 7 it brought my laptop to a crawl and locked into yahoo search.

14. Bob Lankford says:

I use Firefox probably 85% of the time and Edge 10% of the time and Chrome 5% of the time because my work will only operate on Chrome. I use Safari on my iPhone SE because it came with it and I have tried to install Safari on my Laptop for Windows 10 but Norton keeps blocking the download saying it is not safe and removes the download before I can even run the install. I am open to trying others with some recommendations by any other users.

15. 2Tall says:

Been using Firefox and no complaints on laptops.

16. Dorothy Price says:

I use Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10. Have no problems.

17. 2Tall says:

Have been using Firefox with no problem on laptop.

18. JJM says:

I use Firefox. Love the ability to set up Profiles for multiple EMail accounts w/o having to Log Out and Log In every time I view different accounts. Choose the Profile I want and automatically logged in. Can keep multiple profiles open to readily jump back and forth. Before I discovered this capability I auto logged into different browsers depending on which emails I wanted.
    I do have Chrome and IE still on desktop but chastise any business that claims I need use either to access some of their info.

19. Joan says:

I use IE11 on Windows 10. I tried the new Edge browser but it is seriously incompatible with many financial sites I use so I killed it and have stuck with IE with no problems. I haven’t looked at it lately but there was no easy way to do a ‘save as’ so that was another black mark for Edge for me.

20. Chris says:

I use IE11 and never had a problem.