Why All The Hype Over End Of XP Support?

Wednesday, November 13th, 2013 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips

Jeff from Brookfield writes:

I was wondering, what is the difference between end of support for Windows XP and end of support for Windows 2000.  Maybe my mind is forgetting but I do not remember there was so much hype to get off a platform like XP when support ended for windows 2000? Just curious if you know why?  I do not know.

Jeff, it’s all about the numbers. At the time support for Windows 2000 ended, usage of Windows 2000 was estimated to be at less that one-half of one percent of all Windows users. Usage for Windows XP was counted at nearly 40% of all Windows systems in use as recently as 2012.  Windows XP was a very popular platform and many people were in no hurry to change.

Millions of more systems will be at risk when XP support ends.

Tags: , ,

6 Responses to “Why All The Hype Over End Of XP Support?”

1. RAJESH AGGARWAL FRSA says:

Microsoft should NOT STOP giving out updates to their loyal customers and there are Millions of XP USERS who need updates regularly to keep their computers safe. Thank You & God Bless

2. Debbie Kipp says:

I use XP and don’t want to change. I’ve never had the problems others have have with other running systems. I retired in 2008. And they did use XP Please do updates Microsoft

3. DON says:

How do we complain to Microsoft so they want end the XP Support???????????

4. Barbara says:

I to love XP and don’t want to change, to bad Microsoft doesn’t appear to care what their long time users want (95, 98, ME, then XP been using it 7 yrs, really don’t want to change to 7 and certainly, for what I’ve seen to 8. Please Microsoft continue the updates, don’t end the support.

5. Danny says:

I have one computer with XP; one with Vista; and one with Win. 8. Of the 3, I like XP the best. Vista is almost useless, Win. 8 is on a tablet, which I wish was really a laptop. I find it strange and difficult to us at this point but I will keep trying. I have found my XP to be functional, easily used and relatively free of ‘bugs’.

6. Mary R. says:

You told us what and why XP support would be ending in April 2014, but not what we can/have to do about it.

Microsoft obviously doesn’t give a darn.