Why Is Facebook Sending Friend Requests Without My Permission?

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2014 by | Filed Under: Cool Sites, Using The Internet

Theresa from New York writes: A friend accepted a Facebook friend request that I “sent,” only I never sent one. Do you know what’s going on?

Although Facebook’s support page specifically says this situation you described can’t possibly happen, there are forums across the Internet filled with people complaining about this very issue. While it’s not entirely clear why this happens, it probably shouldn’t be too surprising that issues like friend requests getting sent or received without any user input occur occasionally.

The world’s most used social network currently has more than a billion people signed up, with Facebook stating that around 750 million people log in daily. With a network that huge – and with frequent changes being rolled out – its no wonder that glitches occur from time to time, especially considering the way Facebook has been changing its “reach” and “sponsored posts” algorithms, affecting who sees what and from whom.

If someone accepted a friend request you didn’t send, be sure to first report the issue at this location, as providing feedback about it can help to ensure the problem gets fixed and it doesn’t occur again.

After reporting the issue, you can simply remove the unwanted person from your friends list. Head over to their Facebook profile, click the “Friends” button near the top of the screen, and then select the “Unfriend” option.

Removing a Facebook Friend

If you don’t want to potentially hurt the person’s feelings by un-friending them, you can instead set it so their posts don’t appear in your feed even though you remain “friends” (of course, they will still be able to see and comment on YOUR posts).

Click the “Friends” icon and then select the “Get Notifications” option. With that option removed, only those posts from that person that Facebook deems “important” (containing key words about life events like “pregnancy,” “divorce,” etc.) will appear in your feed.

If the person’s posts continue to appear in your feed and they are still able to comment on your updates, you can always block them, which prevents all communication of any kind. Just simply choose the “Report/Block” option in the list and follow the prompts.

In the event that friend requests continue to be sent without your knowledge, be sure to change your Facebook password and run a full spyware scan on your computer, as someone else may be accessing your account.

~ Ty Arthur

Tags: , , ,

23 Responses to “Why Is Facebook Sending Friend Requests Without My Permission?”

1. Marshell Sartin says:

Have had 3 people accept friend request that I did not send.

• Arthur says:

3 for me also. Odd.

• Donna E says:

I think my relationship is over because of this. I had a friend acceptance from a friend of my partner that I Did not add. He thinks that I can’t let him have any friends and is going to leave. He won’t believe me even though it has happened to him it is because it is a friend of his . He thinks I am lying

2. Sam says:

Just had this happen… Not cool

3. Carol Heiderman says:

This just happened to me also…a person I know just accepted a friend request that I never sent….I’d never have sent them one simply because I know them and we are NOT friends. It was frustrating and embarrassing.

4. Duetto says:

A person I know just signed up with Facebook and called me right after to let me know, that she received MY friend request right before she could even edit her privacy settings. a) I never sent her a request and b) I did not even know, that she was on Facebook. She has three other requests from people she does not know. This is more than mysterious – and somehow scary :(

5. Jackie says:

I have also gotten 2 friend requests accepted today from people I didn’t request!!! They are friends of people I know, but I never sent a request. NOT COOL!!!

6. Leyla says:

I’ve had tons of people accept “friend” requests that I never sent out…. What the heck is happening? I’m getting Sooooooo ready to just shut the stupid facebook account down….Problem is, you almost need facebook for special promotions, and it’s nice to keep up with real old friends. What to do, what to do?

7. Pat Fedorski says:

I have had several notifications that someone accepted my friend request that I never sent. One was from the ex- husband of a dear girlfriend and I never would have in that friend request. I did notify him that it was nothing personal and then deleted him.

A recent one is more complex as it would, I think, very much hurt this person’s feelings and maybe cause ripples within the family… Can you make a general statement in settings somewhere that you are overwhelmed with FB posts and are reluctantly are accepting no more friend requests ? That would be a nice feature because anyone putting in a friend request would get that statement and that it wasn’t personal

8. V Duncan says:

Happened to me today! Looks like a fake account. Person had put in a name of a Bible College (or at least part of the name) that I know about and also put that they “liked” a church I used to attend. I have no idea who this person is. Very strange.

9. jess says:

This just happened to me and it I got really upset about it. So, I am renting a room out on craigslist and someone emailed me saying that they were interested. They told me their full name so I searched them on facebook just to get an idea of who they were. Well there were too many people with the same name so I couldn’t find the person , however, in that time, I clicked on one persons profile who had the same name as him but it turned out it wasn’t him. Later on that day, I got a notification that the person’s facebook that I was looking at accepted my friend request. I thought to myself, I must have accidentally sent him a friend request while looking at his page. Not true. I searched my activity log under and there was NO friend request logged sent on my behalf, which unnerved me even more. God for bid, what if facebook accidentally sends a friend request to someone who you are enemies with and have great conflict with that could result in legal action or worse? All because of facebook malfunctions? Is it really a malfunction or is it being purposely done by facebook? At this point, it really doesn’t matter because this type of thing can be very dangerous. I deactivated my facebook account. I am through with facebook. I don’t need this sh*t in my life. This malfunction has caused me great distress.

10. Liz says:

This just recently happened to me and I think it is the mobile app. Unfortunately, the request that I accidently sent happened to be my guy friend’s girlfriend. She may have been in the People you may know section and my finger must have accidently tapped it. Anyway, she sent him a screenshot of it, broke up with him and he texted me and went completely ballistic on me. He said I was a psycho stalker drama queen and now his ex feels threatened by me. I had no clue I friended her and he did not give me a chance to explain. He pretty much told me to get out of his life and leave him and his friends alone. It upsets me that he approached me in this manner, accusing me instead of just nicely asking about it. I think something needs to be done by facebook. They need to have a sound notification or something that gets your attention, so you can see what happens if you do that. I have lost a very good friend now and I don’t think this is salvageable. But I do think he overreacted slightly.

11. Rory says:

This is intentional from facebook, but they will never admit to it. It centers around advertisements and expansion of facebook. More closely the mighty dollar. I’m done being used as a pawn to further facebook profits. I will delete my account.

12. Nicole says:

I think the person who thinks this issue concerns the mobile app is correct. But I can only speak for myself, when I say that I don’t think this is because anyone is ‘accidentally’ hitting the ‘send friend request’ link.

Two people accepted friend requests from me that I never sent. But I had been looking on their pages a lot. Both people are related to relatives through marriage. And both relatives have had severe health issues. Both of these ‘new’ friends were posting health updates so I was looking on there pretty regularly, even though neither of these people were friends.

I think that if you look at a non friends page too many times, FB sends a friend request, I swear to God.

13. Kate says:

*Exact* same story as Nicole above. Suddenly two new ‘friend requests accepted’ that I have never (& would never) send. Also using the mobile app….gotta remember to not check someone’s page too many times then!!! Even if it is for non stalking purposes!!

14. John says:

Happened to me today and I can tell you, because of the circumstances, that there is no way that I sent a friend request, even accidentally. Maybe Facebook should have a double check on these requests eg sending your requests to a requests to a private log on your page and requiring you to confirm the request from there. It shouldn’t really be possible to accidentally send a friend request with one click.

15. John says:

Happened to me today and I can tell you, because of the circumstances, that there is no way that I sent a friend request, even accidentally. Maybe Facebook should have a double check on these requests eg sending them to a requests section in a private log on your page and requiring you to confirm the request from there. It shouldn’t really be possible to accidentally send a friend request with one click, you might want to take it back with a litle thought.

16. mike says:

It just happened to me on my laptop to someone I have never heard of. I opened facebook and there was nothing by means of a friend notificaion, then I went to make coffee and when I came back i had a notification that someone I don’t know (1 mutual friend) accepted my friend request. I usually accept most requests but i NEVER send requests even to people I know.

17. abhilasha says:

Every week I get a notification that someone accepted my friend request.
    These are the people I never send the request.
    All these people just joined facebook. and request is sent to people who is joining new on fb.

18. Sista Alpha says:

After receiving a friend request from somebody who never sent it I checked my own account and found 3 friend requests which I NEVER sent. That’s too much for sheer coincidence. I want my privacy protected!!!

19. Morrison says:

A creature just joined facebook and has accepted a request which i never sent! Why will i send a friend request to someone who i dnt know…moreover,a person who joined facebook not long ago.. Merely disgusting! This scares me a lil’ #buLLsh*t

20. Ruhan Kotze says:

I constantly have to explane to my Gf that I did not send some of the requests whom excepted it. Also It just sucks.

• cynthia says:

Ruhan, I want you to go into your Facebook account and check out how many apps you have actually installed. You know all those quizzes and things folks take? Many of them install apps that require permissions. These could be the culprits behind sending these requests. Also, do you have a security program than also checks your social media feeds as well?