Why Is Windows 10 Upgrade Being Forced On Me?

Sunday, August 2nd, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Windows 10

Some people aren’t anxious to try out Windows 10, like Leon, who wrote: How is it “completely optional” to Windows 7 Home Edition users when the “free upgrade” is forced upon them? I personally use Windows 7 Pro. How do I avoid upgrading to Windows 10 until I choose to?

windows-10-desktop-full-menu

Leon, if you haven’t reserved your upgrade to Windows 10, it won’t upgrade automatically – simple as that. You have until July 29 2016 to choose the free upgrade options. After that, if you decide to upgrade, it will cost around $100 dollars.

Tags: , ,

20 Responses to “Why Is Windows 10 Upgrade Being Forced On Me?”

1. Yom B says:

You didn’t answer the question are you a politician?

• cynthia says:

I did answer the question, I thought. The upgrade isn’t forced on you. You don’t have to reserve it and you don’t have to upgrade.

• Steve Moyer says:

Evening of March 10, 2016 my computer spontaneously started to install Windows 10, which I do not want. Why?

• harley says:

Bull I didn’t reserve a copy, I refused to upgrade 2 to 3 times a day. I went to bed Thursday got up good Friday and my computer was upgraded. My files all gone, my pictures, and I can’t get it to work or remember anything. I working off my note pad for everything now, because until I get this fixed my computer is worthless. The government should fine Microsoft for forcing this crap on people.

• cynthia says:

Your files should not be gone, nor should your pictures. It’s not a clean install, so all of your programs and files should still be there. Have you looked under the pictures file?

2. Millie says:

I thought we would have the option to download, it has downloaded on my computer without me selecting it. So I feel it is being forced on me for sure.

3. Terry Harvey says:

I checked on the Microsoft site and if you didn’t reserve it you can still get it for free, not $100.

4. Eric MacRae says:

is windows10 compatible with Java?

5. Ben Broderick says:

I tried to access Word to write my mothers obituary but 10 had been installed by Windows somehow and I was not in the mood to figure it out. So in that emergency windows failed me. I resent the automatic installation.

• cynthia says:

There’s no reason you couldn’t access word. It hasn’t been overwritten or changed. Your desktop shortcut (if any) should still be in the same place. Or you can just click the start menu. If you’ve used it recently, it will be among your recently used programs. If it’s been awhile, just type Word and the program will pop up in the result.

6. Greg Brayman says:

Then why, when I go to install the updates listed as to 8.1, the download message that follows says downloading Windows 10.

7. Rodger Castle Sr. says:

When I opened up my PC yesterday, Windows10 began downloading and took over. I never asked for this. What do I need to do to revert back to what I had?

8. John W Copping says:

i was working on my P.C when widows 10 completely took over and loaded its self with out my permission or my promoting it to do so why i feel this was not good of Microsoft to do something like this can someone explain why this happened? again i did not ask for it it just took over and loaded?

9. Jim Kellogg says:

I AM!!!!!!!! being forced to download windows 10. It took over my computer and would let me nothing until I agreed to let the 10 download. I tried it once and it was terrible. Far to complicated and controlled for a home computer. I finally found someone to remove it and now you are forcing it on me. I am not a happy customer.

10. MATT TAYLOR says:

DIDN’T LIKE FORCED UPGRADE APPLE MAY HAVE NEW BUSINESS

11. j0e26 says:

It is being forced……. anyone that says otherwise is a liar…..

12. j0e26 says:

its like saying google is not a virus…..

13. Glenda says:

I too had windows 10 forced on me. I have denied installation repeatedly. Yesterday when I woke my computer it had automatically installed. I HATE automatic installs and would NEVER installed this willingly. I have settings that deny automatic updates. This was a HORRIBLE surprise