looking for freeware

Why Microsoft Wants You To Uninstall Their Latest Update

Monday, August 18th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Security Help

Microsoft has issued a warning for Windows users. If you’ve installed the most recent August updates, the company says you need to uninstall them.  These updates applied to Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 .

Many users have reported problems restarting their systems after the update – some seeing the dreaded Windows’ blue screen of death.

The updates with the problems are KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719 and KB2975331.  When reports of the issues started rolling in, Microsoft removed the link to the update and suggested that users uninstall the update. The company is working on a fix and plans to make it available as soon as the issues are resolved.

Here’s how to find out if you have those updates installed on your computer:

Search for programs and features in your search box or search charm and click on the icon.

The Programs and Features window will open.  Choose View installed updates.

You’ll need to look for the most recent updates. Check for those numbers I mentioned above. Every computer may not have all of the updates.

Here I’ve selected the update that’s considered to be the one most likely to cause the problem – KB2982791.  Choose Uninstall.

It will take a few minutes for the update to uninstall.

You’ll be given the options to restart now or later when it’s finished. I’d suggest selecting later and going back and removing the other updates before you restart.

You could also choose to restore your system back to a point before the updates were downloaded.

Tags: , , ,

19 Responses to “Why Microsoft Wants You To Uninstall Their Latest Update”

1. susie thompson says:

omg there is so much to go through to find 4 different numbers. isn’t there a quicker way to find these numbers in my control panel?

2. Vicky Marcus says:

Thanks for the warning! I uninstalled one of these updates.
    How do people who are not subscribed to WorldStart’s newsletter learn about these warnings and mistakes???
    Also, I don’t know if this is a coincidence, but lately I’ve had a continuous “Synchronizing Inbox” flashing on the bottom of my Outlook 365 Mailbox. How can I get rid of this???
    Thank you!

3. Nadia Ibrahim says:

Thanks for all your adviice/How to’s…
    Do I need to remove the updates , even if I do not have any issues ?
    Thanks.

4. Mike Penford says:

should i take out august updates kb2982791 and kb2975719 if i’m not having any problems in windows 8.1

5. James says:

The web site below is worth monitoring until the update to incorporate fixes is complete:

6. John Matthews says:

Thanks very much for the notification. Microsoft should have done it. Too bad for people that don’t have WorldStart tech tips.

7. Kathy says:

Thanks, you are life-savers in so many ways.

8. Ted Jago says:

Wnot just “Restore” te computer to the day before the update ans Then let MS automatic updates reinstall the updates not affected… ????

• cynthia says:

Ted, yes it will. It mentions that in the article. But there may be reasons you don’t want to restore back to a previous point and there are also some valid updates, such as one for IE 11, that came down last week, that you may wish to keep.

9. Doug says:

Cynthia, I removed 2 of the 4 updates from a windows 7 laptop, the other 2 were not present. A windows 8.1 laptop and a Windows 7 Desktop had none of the updates. I regularly have updates loading. Should I be worried that none of the updates were found on two computers?

10. Robert says:

I’m using Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 w/IE9 and have no issues.
    All appropriate updates for Windows 7, Explorer and programs
    are installed and up to date.

11. DMW says:

Holly Molly please help me here cynthia.
    On my Vista laptop when go check for Installed Updates (followed your instructions), i couldn’t find any of those bad August 12 Windows updates (KB******s). None of them. What the heck!
    Is that weird or what?
    I had no trouble whatsoever after installation and reboot. Everything was and is running smooth and unfortunately, that’s what worries me the most –however crazy this may sound.
    Because now there’s this newly released update august 27 KB2993651 that Microshite says it fixes everything but, OH –wait for it– you’re still strongly suggested to fiddle around and get rid of the previous scrap they made you get in the first place… cuz they wont code it purposely made to save you the pain in the arse.
    It’s just, what the hell are they doing and thinking back in Redmond??

And NOW What’s gonna happen if i don’t (read Can’t) uninstall KB2982791 (and i’m certainly NOT restoring cuz i need those other non-critical updates that were in the mix) AND install the new KB2993651 ?? eh?
    IS That gonna turn into a dirty cyber bomb ready to blow off at later point in time?? Maybe the blue-screen of death is what awaits me next? For christ sake WHO KNOWS!?!?

I would really appreciate your lights on the issue Cynthia, before I finally push my luck and install it. I already let a week go by but I’m worried I’ve already put myself at risk.

• cynthia says:

If you don’t have any of the problematic updates, you don’t have to worry. You don’t need to remove updates you never had. The updates were pulled a few days after they were released, so if you hadn’t updated in that time, you wouldn’t have them. If you did have KB2982791, the process to uninstall is fairly simple as you can see in the article.

Since you say you don’t have any of those updates installed, you should have absolutely nothing to worry about. It would be nice if all updates were problem-free, but every operating system from Microsoft to Apple OS to Android to even the much-beloved Linux sometimes has issues with updates that don’t work the same in the real world as they did during testing.

These updates are nothing to stress over. If you have them, remove them. If you don’t, don’t worry about it.

12. [...] uninstall them? I told you about some faulty  updates that were causing some computers to crash. Microsoft strongly advised anyone who had installed these updates to uninstall them. The updates with the problems were called KB2982791, KB2970228, KB2975719 and KB2975331 and they [...]

13. Leslie Maier says:

Thanks, I’ve removed one of the programs from my laptop but how do I find control panel on my iPad? I’m coming up at a loss there.

• cynthia says:

Leslie – these are Windows updates and would only be installed on devices that use the Windows operating system. An iPad uses the iOS operating system.

14. Exie King says:

Cynthia, I printed out the tech sheet and proceeded to delete the two that were on my computer and when I restarted it I got an error and my desktop wouldn’t load. I restored to a few minutes before I deleted the updates and everything is ok now. How do I delete them without causing this problem? I did know how to delete them and afterwards checked the process on the tech sheet and I did it correctly.

15. […] To learn more about installing an update in Windows 7, click here.  […]