Why Not Suggest Cloud Storage?

Wednesday, March 11th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips

Mike from New Milford writes:

I just read Patricia’s letter about the difficulty transferring data from an XP computer. You offered many excellent suggestions but I think I have one more. She could move all those records to a cloud account where they would always be available, Then setting up a new computer would not be such a chore.

Cloud

I agree with you that a cloud account is a great way to transfer files to a new computer. In fact, users with a Gmail, Outlook.com, Hotmail, MSN or Windows Live Mail e-mail address already have cloud storage available that they may not even know about that’s included with their e-mail accounts.

The reason I didn’t suggest it in the answer is that I find that many people who are reluctant¬† to switch from XP absolutely hate the idea of cloud storage. It’s one of the reasons people fear switching to Windows 8, they worry that cloud storage is mandatory.¬† (It’s not, but like Mike says, it sure is convenient.)

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Why Not Suggest Cloud Storage?”

1. Robert Payne says:

What will happen when the “cloud” bursts? Nothing lasts forever, so what backup plans do the “clouds” have for all of the data stored in them?
    Thank you.

2. D.J. Smith says:

With so many company accounts being compromised these days “company accounts with customer information being stolen” makes me wonder if cloud accounts are really secure. Just maybe, with the limited protection I have on my personal computer, I could be more secure with keeping my storage on my own devices.

3. Daniel says:

Plain and simple, I DO NOT TRUST IT!

4. Calvin Christian says:

The Cloud is just some hard drives somewhere, I’m sure they are kept up very well and maybe swapped out for new ones fairly often. I would not worry about the Cloud busting.

5. Jill says:

I don’t like it. I did a factory reset on a cell phone when I bought a new one. Not only did all of my pictures,etc. from the cloud load to my new phone, but they loaded to my old phone that I gave to a friend.

6. Ernie says:

I’m more ‘old school’ and would rather have my information stored on external hard drives, here at the house, vs risking it to some hacker in cyberspace.. What I store or back-up on my computer is no one elses business but my own.

7. Meha S. says:

I’m leary of it also-
    There needs to be more information/education/explanation – published about it- – anything out of our hands, is loss of control. It’s not in our
    nature ”to be out of control”. Is it used without our knowledge?
    Would you explain how a hotmail user – uses it? Is it just for the
    hotmail content? I just aquired a hotmail acct. Am I notified – if it is used?
    Thanks sooo much for all your issues!!
    M.

8. Jonathan says:

As far as I can see (only tried Onedrive at present) cloud storage cannot be accessed from Winsows XP machines for good reason. You cannot be sure XP is safe and secure.

With regard to the writers comment about people being scared to move to Windows 8, what a load of rubbish. People are not moving to Windows 8 because it is a load of rubbish (I would like to use far stronger language)!

A short list of reasons NOT to move to Windows 8:
    It is resource hungry – I have tested both Win 7 & Win 8 on the same medium spec. machine and Win 7 runs very well Win 8 runs like a tired old dog.
    Importing of photos is a nightmare – In Win 7 your can auto import from your memory card to a location of your choosing very easily, not in Win 8.
    2 screens for the price of one! – Win 8 is awkward to use because of split desktop which effectively a split OS! It’s Jack of all trades master of none.
    You cannot add your files to the desktop, which I use as a scratchpad for current files.
    I could go on and on and on. My advice (25+ years personal and professional experience) give Win 8 a very very wide birth, don’t even get a machine with Win 8 Pro for the download rights unless the manufacture has written Win 7 drivers. Stick with Windows 7 and lets pray they do a better job of Windows 10.

Windows 8 compares nicely with Windows Vista, ME & 95, oh and a chocolate tea pot for making tea!

Rant over…