Why Should I Upgrade to Windows 10?

Thursday, July 30th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Windows 10

More than one of our readers has asked why they should bother to upgrade to Windows 10. As one put it, “If I’m happy with my operating system, why should I upgrade?”  That’s a fair question. Certainly, you don’t have to upgrade now. As they say, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But I think there are some advantages to upgrading. I’ll warn you that I’ve been up to my eyeballs in a Windows 10 preview for months, so it no longer seems like a new operating system to me. Sometimes I try to use Windows 10 features on a my Windows 7 computer.  Let me tell you, talking to a PC that doesn’t answer gets you some looks in the office.

windows-10-desktop-live-tiles

Here are what I think are some of the reasons to consider an upgrade:

It’s free!  If you are currently using Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 as a home user, it won’t cost you a penny to upgrade to the new system.  Plus, your files and programs will remain intact.  You’ll have until July 29, 2016 to download and install your upgrade. This will save you around $100.

You extend your support.  Microsoft is guaranteeing security support for Windows 10 for 10 years. That means if you have Windows 7, you’re getting an extra 5 years of security support. Mainstream support for Windows 7 (which means no new features) has ended, but you’ll have mainstream support for at least another 5 years if you switch to Windows 10. For Windows 8 users, you’ll get an additional 3 years of security support.

windows-10-reserve-upgrade

You hate 8. If you’re one of those who didn’t get along well with Windows 8, you’ll very much appreciate the upgrade to 10. The Start Menu is back on the bottom left and is actually more functional than ever before.  I actually liked 8 fine, but I did have a convertible with a touch screen. It could be frustrating to use with a mouse. Windows 10 is completely mouse and keyboard friendly.

searchbarwindows8

It’s cool. There are some seriously kick-butt features in Windows 10. My favorite is Cortana. Maybe it’s because I grew up watching Star Trek and always wanted to be able to say “Computer, do this!” or “Computer, show me that!” You have to say Cortana and not computer, but the personal digital assistant will write e-mails, open programs, search the web, put appointments on your calendar and a lot more. All you have to do is ask.

cortana-facebook

Microsoft is listening to your feedback.

I’ve been participating in the Technical Preview of Windows 10 for a few months. As we’ve gone along, the company has taken a lot of feedback from millions of users and made changes to the OS accordingly. They plan to keep up the practice once it goes into general use. They’ll take feedback from users and then make gradual changes to the operating system to make it more user-friendly.

Most of you are well-aware of the downsides to getting a new OS. There’s the dreaded learning curve. However, I don’t think it will be too much with this OS. It might look slightly different, but it feels familiar. And that was truly the flaw with Windows 8 and 8.1. The system did what previous operating systems did, but it didn’t FEEL like Windows. This system still feel like Windows.

Another objection that many of you have, is the update policy for Windows 10. Updates are not optional. You’ll only be able to choose when to install and restart your PC. I can see why Microsoft did this. Many critical updates never got installed on PCs. There have been bugs running around for decade that could have been nipped in the bud if everyone had the current security updates. But some users prefer to keep tighter control on their computer updates.

Some of you have called me out before for being pretty gung ho about news operating systems and new tech. And I’ll admit it, I get excited about it. I’m a tech writer, that’s what I do. I’m also a problem solver, so I tend to focus on how to make new stuff work instead of whether or not there should be new stuff in the first place. But I like Windows 10 and I think you will as well.

Tags: , ,

49 Responses to “Why Should I Upgrade to Windows 10?”

1. David says:

Choosing the wallpaper and other preferences in Windows 10 is much more difficult than previous versions of Windows.

I also found the tiles (the format used in Windows 8) to be mainly useless in Windows 10. Other than news highlights, weather, and the mail, the tiles format (from Windows 8) doesn’t include any app programs, just advertising and games. It would be nice to customize the tiles to include the app programs (like in Windows 8).

2. cynthia says:

Pat – the free upgrades are available from July 29 2015 through July 29, 2016. Interest has been pretty high, with a reported 47 million downloads by the weekend. Once you reserve the upgrade, it will download when it is ready – but it should not install unless you tell it to. It’s possible that there could be some other issue with your PC. If the power light keeps going off with your PC, that may indicate some type of hardware problem. Even a PC with a crashed hard drive will turn on. Have you tried another power cord? It’s possible that yours has headed south.

3. Cynthia Nelson says:

In auto updates 8-3-15 I noticed a failed update so I checked it out. Microsoft updated my Win 7 home to Window 10 Home. I did not reserve Win 10 to be installed. Thank goodness it failed. I have not checked to see if the specs on my PC will accept Win 10 or backed up files yet in the instructions per recent newsletters. I do not plan on getting Win 10 right now. The Window 10 icon is still in the taskbar.
    What can I do to tell MS to not automatically download Win 10 Home in my updates? Thanks for all the tips in the premium newsletters. Cynthia

4. Meha says:

….I must say you did make me feel a bit more comfortable-
    but not yet at ease. I loved and miss my XP – keeping it to do art work and
    photography and programs that 7 would not take.

Will I have to upgrade to 8 before 10? I am 7 now and have 10 on reserve….and how will it let me know when it’s ready to download/install?

You are greatly appreciated Cyn!
    Meha

5. Roma says:

I have windows 7 on my laptop but the windows 10 icon has not appeared in my task bar ? I would very much like to download windows 10 but haven’t a clue about how to do it,,

6. Ron says:

I have Windows 8.1. I am seriously considering upgrading to Windows 10. One of my main concerns was the possibility of any costs after the free upgrade, which I have read that this is not the case. The upgrade is completely free to install for the first year and there will be no subscription fees or any other costs at all after the installation. I realize that after the free 1 year upgrade, that there will be a cost to upgrade. My only concern now is, do we need to back-up our current files on our hard drive before the upgrade. I read the article today that stated ‘your files and programs will remain intact.’ Does this mean there is no need to back-up files or does it mean that any files I now have on my Windows 8.1 hard drive will not be affected after the upgrade? Please clarify.

Thank you.

• cynthia says:

Your files should not be overwritten, none of mine were altered in the slightest. But it is still a good idea to back up all of your important files before making any changes to a PC.

7. Melanie says:

My daughter can’t get her Sims games to work on Windows 10 can you help, Please and thank you

8. Michael says:

I am EXTREMELY concerned about the spying and privacy issues with Windows 10. I know some can be disabled but that does not satisfy my privacy concerns. I will probably leave Windows altogether and go to a different system after Windows 7 expires. I am not alone.

9. Doreen F. says:

The Win 7 information is confusing because everything I’d heard indicated that OS would be supported until 2020. Now you say Microsoft no longer offers mainstream support. I continue to get security updates, etc. on a weekly basks so I don’t understand how you can say that’s ended.

10. Allan Poe says:

How about doing a clear step 1, step 2, step 3, etc. method for doing a W10 and W7 dual boot using either a disc partition or separate internal disc.
    Many of us old timers would like to try out W10, but we don’t want to give up W7.
    Please do while W10 is free.
    Thanks.

11. Ian C Fyvie says:

Glad you love Cortana I would love it too if it could recognise a good Scottish accent from Glasgow

12. Phil Bonday says:

How do I know if Windows 10 will be acceptable on my computer? Never saw a Win10 box to click to download it.