Why Stop XP Support?

Wednesday, February 19th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Uncategorized

I have about 17 questions in the WorldStart inbox that are all variations of “Why is Microsoft stopping support for XP?” Many go on to answer the question with “Because they are evil, greedy #%$! who are out to get me.”

But I suggest looking at it another way. How long would you continue to spend millions of dollars and thousands of man hours a year supporting a 13-year-old product? If you sold something, would you be willing to extend a warranty on it beyond 13 years?

Especially when you have people actively working to sabotage your product every day. What you need to do in order to support that product changes on a daily basis.  This is also a product that you stopped selling 6 years ago. So you aren’t bringing in much revenue for it. XP has proven to have a lot of security vulnerabilities with a virus infection rate more than double that of Windows 7 systems, so keeping it safe is a whole lot of work.

And supporting this product won’t lead to new purchases of software or hardware since the users are people who are pretty much content with what they have.

Your answer might be yes, but Microsoft’s is a definite “no.”

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “Why Stop XP Support?”

1. Peter George says:

I hate Microsoft with a vengeance, most of their products are crap. They have conned the public for long enough. I always try tyo use a product from another company.

2. julie ford says:

I wonder what I would think if Microsoft had not decided early on to kill off XP, had not put the pitiful Vista on the market. They killed XP in the lab and then decided that they did not want it anymore. Unfortunately, they did not seek to improve a proven product but keep coming up with next-best products. One can only dream that they will yet come up with another product that is so easy to use and likeable!

3. Sylvia Resnick says:

while I am not happy about having to learn a new program, now that I’ve read the explanation I understand why Microsoft has made this change. Thanks for the info. Now if I can manage to learn the new software program without having a nervous tizzy, everything will be fine.

4. David Tucker says:

Regarding your comment that new hardware and software will not be required for the newer MS Windows versions: Neither my legacy CAD nor mathematics software (which I use all the time on a Win 7 32-bit OS) will run on any 64-bit Windows OS, and have serious issues in XP virtual mode. Any suggestions – other than the current administration’s promise that I can keep my old software if I like it?

5. GW Hayduke says:

Thank you for this article! The amount of ignorance associated with this subject is mind blowing. XP is 13 years old! Who would continue sinking money into a this dinosaur? For those scared of change…if you can get a copy of Windows 7…get it…you’ll love it. It is so similar to XP but it is a far superior OS. If you can’t get 7 still, then get 8…its still not that much different and once you get over the tiles (which you don’t even really need to use) you won’t even know. For those people that say they hate Microsoft with a vengeance, then my question is this…which OS do you use? Apple? Linux? Yep, didn’t think so…you probably use Microsoft. Do you have any logical reason for hating them so much? They aren’t stopping XP out of spite or money…IT’S AN OBSOLETE SYSTEM! The people that are pissed about Microsoft are probably the same conspiracy nuts that think that Obama is a Muslim from Kenya.

6. Wil Tucker says:

The one and only reason Microsoft stopped selling and now supporting XP is because all the “better” Windows versions require more powerful computers equipped with more expensive versions of windows.

XP is popular although old because nothing newer works as well. It is an ultra stable system.

Win7 is just Vista with a few changes. I have 7 and I don’t really like it. I do prefer my three other machines running XP.

Now with more advertising graphics including active X content gobbling up computer resources it seems I have little benefit from my multicore processors except to run better ads! Ads enabled by Microsoft!

Many folks see Microsoft as nothing but a Bully in the computer industry and I certainly am one of them too!

7. Wil Tucker says:

Microsoft has take a shot at its own customers. They could have charged for support of course. Or gone back to selling XP again if they desired.

This is simply shooting the operating system out from under XP users. Now Microsoft, in their arrogance, expects every XP user to say, “Thank you sir. May I purchase a more expensive OS?”