looking for freeware

Why Won’t Microsoft Share XP Knowledge?

Wednesday, March 5th, 2014 by | Filed Under: Security Help

Jim from Florida writes:

Since only Microsoft has the knowledge to correct the problems in XP, and since Microsoft is the one withdrawing the support for XP, why doesn’t Microsoft provide that knowledge to the security companies so that they can correct those problems that Microsoft previously corrected?  Microsoft too selfish and greedy?

I don’t know that keeping proprietary information about your business a secret is necessarily selfish or greedy. The company invented and developed Windows and makes their money running it. If they were to share that information with multiple security companies and authorize them to use it, that information would get around. There is plenty of open-source software out here, Windows is not one of them. You won’t see Apple sharing that kind of information either. They don’t even allow other companies to make devices that run their operating system.

If KFC stopped offering a spicy chicken, they still wouldn’t give out the recipe. But here’s the thing, even Microsoft were to share that information, it is actually unlikely that any of these companies would put a team of security professionals in place researching and developing security patches for a 13-year-old operating system that has a lot of security vulnerabilities.

That would cost millions and millions of dollars and you would imagine that each security company would want their own team of professionals on it. Up to this point, these companies received that information for free from Microsoft. They would not only have to research new threats, but come up with programming solutions to permanently patch them. That’s a whole lot of effort and that expense would be passed on to the consumer. The cost of security software could jump up prohibitively.

With the diminishing market share for XP, that’s not going to make a lot of financial sense. And security companies make security software for the same reason that Microsoft makes an operating system, they want to make money.

If you’d prefer an open-source operating system, you could always check out the many flavors of Linux. Because most of your other choices for operating systems from Microsoft to Apple to Google are in it for the money, are proprietary about their knowledge and can upgrade it or pull any kind of support for it whenever they choose.

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “Why Won’t Microsoft Share XP Knowledge?”

1. Fred Douglas says:

Your argument is Microsoft serving nonsense. Your comparison to other firms continuing to sell a product and having the right to withhold company data in no way can be applied to Microsoft. They have withdrawn a product that the public legitimately purchased and in their money grubbing way now want to pressure previous customers to buy the current inferior offering.
    I for one would NEVER buy Win8. And until they and the self serving press change their ways I and many others will question further offerings in the light of the “shafting” that XP buyers have received.
    You are far from blameless! I canu only suggest you re-evaluate to whom your loyalties lie. Big Brother or your subscribers.
    I will judge you next time I see more MicroSucks editorials.

• cynthia says:

To be clear, XP is not being withdrawn. The operating system will still function perfectly well and it is still safe to use off-line. Microsoft is discontinuing further security support and bug patches. I’m certainly not serving Microsoft, I have no loyalty to them or to Apple or any other tech company. Understanding why Microsoft is making this decision (whether or not your or I or anyone thinks it’s the right one) is important and I’ve had several questions about why they don’t share the proprietary information.

2. rodzilla says:

Hey, Jim from Florida, and all of the other people who enjoy living in the past, what kind of car do you drive? Unless you have a 2001 anything, STFU about Win XP. Since 2001 the auto industry has made many advancements in comfort, safety, and convenience, just as the computer industry has. Would you rather have multiple airbags in your car, or the two which were standard in 2001? Would you rather still turn your headlights on manually, while listening to FM radio, or a CD? Wish you did not have remote start, antilock brakes, anti skid control, and the like? I’m not even going to mention all of the other advancements in safety, and technology that have been made in the past 15 years, to make every aspect of our lives easier. Please just quit whining about Microsoft removing support for an obsolete OS, and do those of us who have kept up with the times a favor. No one cares if you have to pay for, and learn, a new operating system. It’s just NOT. THAT. HARD. Get over it, your desperate attempts to avoid upgrading are annoying the rest of us.

3. Nancy says:

Can’t believe you really thought your answer thru. You’re commenting on expense for Microsoft?? Really. How much do you think it is costing for individuals and companies to purchase, install, and train for a new system.
    And don’t think companies and banks aren’t going to try to recoup costs.
    Bank charges will go up. Previously free services will be free no more.
    Look at the companies who have, say, 300 outlets, each outlet has to have
    the new system, each store will have train and watch for errors and delays
    while the customer waits for the operators to try to become proficient in
    Microsoft’s newer systems, which they aren’t even pleased with.

4. Marleen says:

While I understand some people still wanting to use XP (I loved it,too) with no further security updates after April, 2014, I got off my duff, and checked out newer computers with windows 7 prof already installed. Lo and behold, I now love windows 7 as such as if not more than XP. Classify it as upgrading from VHS tapes to current technology. I will wait on the windows 8.1 or whatever follows it for awhile. I have my android tablet to get me ready for that. New technology is happening all the time, and I am sure the future holds many surprises. I hope I am not such a stick in the mud that I will not give them a chance to enhance my and my families life. And I would not expect a company or individual who has developed software, like microsoft or apple, to just give away their hard work to anyone for no monetary return. They are not freeware. There is always Linux Ubuntu, which I am thinking of exploring for one of my older computers that I do not plan on upgrading to win 7. That is a freeware alternative. Whatever you choose, I don’t think a 13 year old op system is the answer for anyone today who is going to be online on the internet. Just my opinion, and you are welcome to your own.

looking for freeware