I’ve Always Wanted To Know:
Why Would You Choose A Desktop Vs A Laptop Computer?
If you’ve been computer shopping recently there are a few different form factors a computer can come in. There are three main types and we’ll go over the pro’s and con’s of each.
- Pro: Lowest cost for the performance. Most expandability. Easiest and cheapest to service.
- Con: Large, impracticable to transport, requires separate monitor usually sold separately
- Pro: Integrated monitor. Sleek stylish design.
- Con: Larger then a laptop and not as portable. Often uses laptop components which cost more and are harder to service. May have limited connectivity.
- Pro: Compact and portable. Monitor integrated.
- Con: More expensive to repair/service. Compact size means more heat. Less performance per dollar then desktop. Limited connectivity. Very little upgrade-ability.
So which should you buy? It really depends on your lifestyle and needs. If you do not need to move around and don’t care how it looks a desktop will give you the most expandability, lowest cost and cheapest repairs. If you want something to go on your desk permanently but be stylish and take up less space an all-in one may be ideal. If you want to have the most portability but are willing to sacrifice repair costs and pay more for a certain performance level then a laptop may be for you.