Why Would You Choose A Desktop Vs A Laptop Computer?

Friday, July 6th, 2012 by | Filed Under: I've Always Wanted To Know...

I’ve Always Wanted To Know:
Why Would You Choose A Desktop Vs A Laptop Computer?

Answer:

If you’ve been computer shopping recently there are a few different form factors a computer can come in. There are three main types and we’ll go over the pro’s and con’s of each.

Desktop

• Pro: Lowest cost for the performance. Most expandability. Easiest and cheapest to service.
  • Con: Large, impracticable to transport, requires separate monitor usually sold separately

All-In-One

• Pro: Integrated monitor. Sleek stylish design.
  • Con: Larger then a laptop and not as portable. Often uses laptop components which cost more and are harder to service. May have limited connectivity.

Laptop:

• Pro: Compact and portable. Monitor integrated.
  • Con: More expensive to repair/service. Compact size means more heat. Less performance per dollar then desktop. Limited connectivity. Very little upgrade-ability.

So which should you buy? It really depends on your lifestyle and needs. If you do not need to move around and don’t care how it looks a desktop will give you the most expandability, lowest cost and cheapest repairs. If you want something to go on your desk permanently but be stylish and take up less space an all-in one may be ideal. If you want to have the most portability but are willing to sacrifice repair costs and pay more for a certain performance level then a laptop may be for you.

-Tim

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Why Would You Choose A Desktop Vs A Laptop Computer?”

1. Hi there to every body, it’s my first pay a quick visit of this webpage; this website carries amazing and in fact excellent information in favor of visitors.

2. K.Vee.Shanker. says:

Good comparision Tim. I would also add one very important factor, namely the comfort. While the desktop is very compfortable to work with, laptop is the least comfortable. This is due to everything being cramped in a thin box. A regular desktop user will find even the keyboard to be not so comfortable in laptops!

3. Hedley Grenfell-Banks says:

We seem to be missing the biggest snag with a laptop – the size. Tiny screen, shrunken keyboard. With a desktop, you can have a big monitor, or multiple monitors. And with a full-range keyboard you can type ALT key numbers for foreign characters easily because you have a keypad. Laptops are for use on the move. For real work, you need a real computer.

4. Jerry Moore says:

I have the best of both worlds. I added a usb mouse and keyboard to use with my laptop when at home.

5. Doris says:

Thanks so much for your simple direct answers. This tired old brain of mine greatly appreciates that. ;)

6. Ken Hall says:

Having used not only desktop and laptop, but also netbook computers, which to use comes down to several different issues.
    1. Netbook or laptop are perfect where you are needing to be on the go. I use my netbook for meetings that are away from home.
    2. I have used a laptop (17″ Monitor) as my primary. Overheating can create problems, but the purchase of a laptop fan helps that. Create for general use, but not upgradable.
    3. I am about to purchase a new desktop because I am playing around with digital pictures and video. I will be going this route because I want the option to upgrade and expand graphic and storage capability.
    4. All 4 types are nice, but choice according to needs AND Price.

7. Buy Notebooks says:

I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!

8. rebecca says:

itz realy help me when I needed