Will Fleep Kill E-mail?

Saturday, June 13th, 2015 by | Filed Under: App Reviews, E-Mail Help

It seems they have it in for all the standard stuff we tend to associate with using computers. We’ve told you about multiple initiatives aimed at killing off passwords for good, now developers of a new messaging system called Fleep have set their sights on e-mail.

The folks at Fleep say that e-mail is an outmoded means of communication (it has been around for 40 years) and that it’s time to change. They say communication needs to be more like messaging apps.

fleep

You’ll hear the word “conversation” used a whole lot when they talk about Fleep. The big problem with e-mail is that it’s not designed for conversations and they feel Fleep makes conversations easy.

fleep-message

At its heart, Fleep is a just like a social network such as Facebook, but it’s intended to work for business needs as well.  Fleep stores your chat history much in the way e-mail is stored. Users have unlimited access to history of their messages and files.

With Fleep, you get a unique ID which functions a lot like an e-mail address.  In fact, you can use it to send messages to e-mail accounts and receive e-mail messages in the Fleep account. Unlike chat or messenger programs that only allow you to communicate with others who have that same app, Fleep let’s you talk to pretty much anybody.

fleep-message-clone

Fleep provides voice and video call options much like Skype and Facebook Messenger.  It also has a feature called Pinboard that lets you pin important messages to the side of the conversation, so they are visible to everyone.

fleep-message-pin

Photos and documents pertaining to the conversation can be stored in what’s called a file drawer, which is available a s tab in the message thread.

fleep-file-drawer

You’ll receive notifications on your computer or phone. Reading the pitch for this app, the developers brag that users won’t feel left out because they’ll get lots and lots of notifications. Which makes me think they don’t react to notifications the way most of the rest of us do.

One user featured on Fleep’s website called the program “A thousand times more efficient than e-mail.” While another said it had replaced e-mail, Skype and several other programs in his office.

Fleep is currently ad-free even for the free version.  If you’d like to sign up and check it out, click here.

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to “Will Fleep Kill E-mail?”

1. Joan says:

For those who like and are on social media …fine. Leave the e-mail alone there are those of us that don’t use social medial all that much . Not every one is alike.

2. Daniel says:

I’ve got one social program, and that is one too many; why would I want another? I’ve got Skype, and it is totally useless since most of the people I contact don’t have any such program; so why would I want another one? I use e-mail at times to send messages to multiple people, needing individual responses that require research before they respond individually. E-mail is absolutely perfect for this. SO WHY would I want to mess with something else? Let the geeks have their “Fleep” and leave us regular users alone with our e-mail which is more important to us.

3. Eileen says:

Email is for a different type of communication. We can share information that doesn’t require an immediate response, it lets us check information. Actual letter writing is pretty much gone though I have some older people that don’t have a computer (I know!) but having email is a way to keep communication but not at the more frantic, immediate response messaging, chat and other ways almost demand a quick turn around. Try not responding to a message and your phone rings, or some other type of notification wanting to know why you didn’t respond to the first message, email doesn’t do that.

4. Catherine Haenze says:

I LIKE my email. I don’t use it for business. I use it to keep in touch. If it’s immediate, they call. Leave me my email. If I wanted messaging, I could get the phone that does that and texting.

5. kathy says:

Thanks, WS, for highlighting useful tools such as Fleep. This is a handy program and we can use it easily for our outdoor program held once per year.

I rely on WS to keep me up to date on evolutionary products like this one. I’d not have known it was ‘out there.’

6. TED JAGO says:

I endorse the comments made by Joan, Daniel. Catherine, and Eileen. Email is for moving data in whatever form it is in to allow full reading. digestion, and comment if needed, by one or more recipients. I do not need a new social contact system for that. But,that does not mean the new entry will not have a use as yet to be thrashed out. I will wait and watch. Ted

7. Bill B. says:

I agree with the majority…leave e-mail to we who do not care about social media. My wife is so addicted to Facebook that she cannot walk past her computer without stopping to check out what is going on….No thanks! E-mail works for messaging and sending photos and all the things we need it for without ‘sharing’ with half the country. And if someone sends me a chart or diagram I can leave it in my e-mail program and look at a year later if need be.
    -Bill

8. Tex says:

The main reason for the CONTROLLERS wanting to stop email is that it is a news media grape vine between private individuals who can can share current events and trends around the world without having to hear the lies, brainwashing, mind control and behavioral engineering perpetrated on a daily basis by the main stream media.
    This goes hand in hand with their on-going plans to require you to use your
    bio ID in order to even access the web.

Read yer Bible, Book of Revelation, MARK O’ THE BEAST.

9. Bruno says:

Previous commenters have misunderstood the appeal of Fleep. Using it does not require your contacts to start using it. That’s the beauty of it – it does not exclude those who elect to not use it. You can think of it as a messenger-like frontend to e-mail, only completely devoid of spam. I myself have forwarded all my work-related e-mail to Fleep and I operate within the application. Those who also use Fleep receive my messages in the application, others receive a bog-standard e-mail. On my end, it looks like a group conversation. Non-Fleep users see nothing out of the ordinary in their mailboxes, as if I’d sent the messages via e-mail.

Criticism in the vein of ’I already have Skype and it’s useless cos nobody is on it’ does not apply. Everybody can be on Fleep, even those who haven’t got an account. Very convenient, very non-intrusive, and very productive.

10. Papa Franku says:

@Bruno, Finally a rational response! Every one else sounds like an old geezer with their, “its new and i dont understand it, so its scary and want nothing to do with it” mentality. Thank you Bruno, your the man.