Will I Need New Peripherals For Windows 10?

Monday, March 9th, 2015 by | Filed Under: Printing Help, Windows 10

Dave from Aliso Viejo writes:

I am concerned with Windows 10 upgrade. When I had Windows XP and upgraded to Win 8, most of my hardware and software was not compatible with 8. I had to buy new scanners, and printers, and software to run on win 8. However, all the hardware and software ran fine on Win 7 systems. So my question is this… Many people spent money upgrading to win 7. Will the stuff that works on win 7 work with Win 10 or will we be forced to buy new hardware, software like we did for win 8…?

I’m afraid that there’s no real way to know until Windows 10 is actually finished, because the OS is still a work in progress.

printerfax

My guess from using Windows 10 is that most things that run with 8.1 will run with Windows 10, but I certainly can’t make any promises. The real difference between upgrading from 8.1 to 10 and XP to 8 is that XP was 13-year-old operating system when you upgraded to Windows 8.  It’s not surprising that many things that functioned with XP would not work with Windows 8.  If your scanner or printer is several years old, it’s not likely that the manufacturer is going to bother coming up with new drivers to make it function with a new operating system. It’s in their best interest for you to buy a new piece of equipment.

Windows10start1

It’s much more likely that a three-year-old printer is going to work with a new operating system than a 10-year-old printer.  Your best bet will be to check the manufacturer’s website for your printer when the Windows 10 upgrade is released.  They should have compatibility information and offer downloads of Windows 10 drivers if there are any available.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “Will I Need New Peripherals For Windows 10?”

1. k.p.subramanian says:

I was using XP Professional(Desk top) and Acer (Laptop) for the past 8 years. I was using initially Epson and changed over to HP 1020 about three years ago. In Dec.2014, I changed the Desktop to All in One / Lenovo/C260 Model, Windows version 8.1, The printer responded very well and I am exremely happy with it.

2. Pattie O'Dawes says:

I’ve been using my Brother HL 1250 virtually every day since it first came out in the late 1990s.
    I can still get toner and drums and it still produces prints as clean as it did when it was new. It’s probably the best purchase I’ve ever made. So, if I can’t use it with Windows 10, that will be Microsoft’s failure, not Brother’s.
    I applaud any manufacturer who can introduced such a great workhorse. Well done Brother!

3. Ray says:

Yes, I had to junk a $1000 large format scanner when MS decided to change their OS.

4. Dave says:

My complaint was the same. When I upgraded from XP to win 8, nonthing from XP worked on the new system. I had to buy all new software, and hardware. Printer, Scanner, and so on.

However, shorthly after I got my 8.0 system I was able to purchase a win 7 system. Amazing, all the XP hardware and software works.

I personally beleive this was a scam by Microsoft to gurantee manufactures a recovery for thier losses from keeping XP alive so long. By making 8.0 reuire all new software and hardware, the manufactures were guranteed millions of dollars in return.

5. Samantha Herron says:

Last year, about this time, I had my computer guy build a new computer for me to take me from XP to Windows 7 Home Premium. I was lucky that he was able to find drivers so that my 10 year-old HP printer/scanner could still be used. If I take this new upgrade to Win 10 this year, I will probably have to retire my HP printer/scanner if the drivers aren’t available. Although the cost of printer/scanners has come down (or at least not gone up much) since my last purchase, I shouldn’t be concerned but, in a way, I am. My printer is still in excellent condition and I will be asked to junk it and buy a new one for the sake of “progress.” How sad.

6. David Tucker says:

Upgrading my work PC from Win XP to Win 7 Professional 32-bit OS allowed me to use all of my legacy software from as far back as Win 3.2 (e.g., DraftChoice CAD, Lotus Organizer, TK Solver, etc.). However, upgrading my home PC from Win XP to Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit OS killed all of the legacy software, and refused to run them even in XP virtual mode. I still haven’t found satisfactory replacement software for 64-bit OS’s. However, my older printers (HP and Canon) still work on the 64-bit OS.

7. Jim Brandborg says:

I don’t if you can call it fortunate or not but I changed computers cause mine was on its last legs. the new computer loaded with Windows 8. My question is windows 10 going to as big a pain as win 8 was

8. Timothy Kekeis says:

How many know that when you select to add a printer, it tries to detect what is available. But if nothing is found, click the not found link. Then enter the IP address you set the printer too, they should always have a static address. You then my find your printer is known under the manufacture and then model list. But if your like me, I too have old printers not listed. Click the button “Windows Update” which takes a few minutes to get and build a temporary list of all certified drivers for printers Windows has supported.

As for scanners, stand-alone flat beds have always been a crap-shoot. After they stop building them, they stop supporting them. All-in-ones should be OK.

I have most versions of Windows back to XP that are supporting all four of my printers, one ink jet and the others lasers. This includes Windows 10 preview 9926. My standard software, most always needing updated versions, work fine with one understandable exception, AV packages. I don’t expect them to start working until sometime this summer.