Will My Windows XP Still Work?

Monday, March 11th, 2013 by | Filed Under: Computer Terms, Windows 8

Question:  At the present time I have Windows XP. I read that I will no longer be able to use XP in 2014. Is this correct? Can I switch to Windows 7 at that time or will I have to go to Windows 7 before that time. If I have to switch how do I switch to Windows 7?

Answer:  As I pointed out in this article, you are not alone.  Estimates say 40% of Windows users are still running XP. A whole lot of people still use Windows XP. Microsoft is ending support for XP in 2014, but that doesn’t mean your operating system will suddenly stop working. It just means that Microsoft will no longer provide security updates, fixes for bugs or offer any customer support for the program. The troubling issue is the lack of security updates.

Upgrading to Windows 7 is pretty simple, you just purchase the program and install it on your computer by putting a disc in the drive or downloading the program.  If your computer is older, you will want to make sure you meet the system requirements for Windows 7.  As for Windows 8, unless you are upgrading to a touchscreen computer, I’d suggest sticking with Windows 7.  There’s a bit of a learning curve with Windows 8. I’m adjusting to it now and really can’t recommend the experience to others.

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Will My Windows XP Still Work?”

1. William Yankee says:

Hey, great tip for the XP users. I upgraded to Vista (so-so), then to 7. I’ve got to tell you, 7 is the easiest and most RELIABLE of any program I’ve used from Windows! Most XP users, after a little getting-used-to period, should LOVE 7!

Jack

2. Ray Le Moinw says:

Agree with ur comments, many do not like win 8 and are reverting back to win 7. Like ur mentioned,, there is a learning curve. I have win8 without the touch-screen and am doing alright because I always go to desktop and stay away from apps.

3. Delia says:

I am already havving problems with XP it is never available when I ask fpr any pages, there often seems to be an error wich never gets corrected.

4. Dougm says:

I agree to a point with this comment but I also have to say that you may as well get use to win8 because it looks like it could actually be the next big thing! Yes, somme like it and some don’t, but what I am finding is it is just like anything else out there that is new and you have to put a little extra in to learning it…some people just don’t want to take the time! I have been playing with win8 pro and I am liking the interface more and more with each use!

5. Sylvia says:

I loved XP, but wanted a laptop which came with Windows 7. However, Word 2010 is for the pits. I finally am able to write a letter, but had to call Microsoft to find out how to type an envelope if it didn’t go with a letter. They use icons instead of words and if you have half a day you can read the tutorial. However, Bill Gates, didn’t you ever hear that if something isn’t broken you don’t fix it? Word 2010, in my estimation, is for the birds, those that can type.

6. Mark A Clayborn says:

Took me 2 days to be more comfortable with Windows 8 than all of the other versions. I still use Windows 7, on my work laptop. Going back to 7daily, makes appreciate 8 that much more. At present time, I do not have a touchscreen on my laptop, but I still like 8 better.

7. lastyear says:

Yeah, I’m learning it, too, non-touch screen…