Windows 10 – What Features Will I Lose?

Monday, June 22nd, 2015 by | Filed Under: Windows 10

For the most part, you shouldn’t lose any programs, files, photos or documents when upgrading from Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. (Still a good idea to back everything up first.)

However there will be a few things that won’t survive the upgrade.

Media Center

Users of Window 7 Home Premium, Window 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, and Windows 8.1 Pro  who use Media Center will probably be disappointed to see that it is removed.

image

Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets

Desktop Gadgets will be removed when you install 10.

image

Windows 7 Games

Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed. But you can get free versions of Minesweeper and Solitaire for Free in the Windows App Store.

image

USB Floppy Drive Support

If you’re using an external floppy drive plugged in via USB, it’s not going to work unless you are able to download a driver from the manufacturer’s web site.

floppycrop

Windows Live Essentials One Drive App

If you have the OeDrive app installed as part of Windows Live Essentials, it will be replaced by the integrated version of OneDrive that shows up like another drive on your computer.

Windows 7 DVD Playback

If you want to watch a DVD movie on your computer, you’ll need to install separate playback software.

There’s one more big change coming to Windows 10.

Updates Will Be Automatic

This is part of the push to keep everyone on the same page and part of Microsoft’s desire to do smaller, gradual updates to the operating system.

8 Responses to “Windows 10 – What Features Will I Lose?”

1. MarkJ says:

Thanks for the info, forced automatic updates, phooey.

2. Teresa B. says:

Suggestions on what to use to play music & video files, CDs and DVDs? The more I hear of Win10, the less I like it. Shouldn’t upgrades give you *more* instead of taking away useful programs???

3. Craig Vogel says:

Since Windows Media Center is going away in Windows 10 what alternatives are there for Windows Media Center. I have 2 PC’s with TV tuner cards and I record many TV shows for watching later since I have a very busy schedule.

4. lyn buerger says:

1) I had many of my programs removed when I was forced into win 10. I lost Microsoft Front Page and Print Shop Ensemble 111. Both of these are old but I’ve used them through xp, 7 and 8. Ive tried everything to get them to load
    2) my computer installed win 10 one night, while I was gone, without my permission. I had repeatedly told the pop-up NO, but I was not given any choice. I was told that it would download but not install. But it did install without giving me any choice. Win 10 had already destroyed one computer and I had to re-buy a computer so I WAS NOT PLEASED. So far it had not crashed but I am still MAD AS HELL, and it cost me money and I cannot use my favorite programs.

Thanks I feel better now. And thanks for all you and your crew do. We out here, love you.

• cynthia says:

You can easily revert back to your previous operating system any time within the first 30 days after Windows 10 installs. By lost, do you mean that the programs have vanished or that they are not compatible with Windows 10.

• cynthia says:

I’m surprised you were able to get the Print Shop Ensemble III to work with Windows 7. According to Borderbund, it’s not compatible. What version of FrontPage are you using?

5. Christian de Fauville says:

Hi Cynthia
    Does it mean that we shall be forced to do without Media Center, Gadgets, Games, DVD Playback or can we download these programs or any other compatible programs individually? In that case where/how to find these downloads?
    Thanks a lot for your most valuable advice.

• cynthia says:

Media player is still available, but Media Center is a part of Windows 7 and not available for Windows 10, though there are other programs you can use. DVD playback is still available, you will just need a program. There are several You can certainly play games in Windows 10 and find replacements for the built-in Windows 7 games in the Windows 10 store.