Windows 10: What’s Your Beef?

Monday, June 13th, 2016 by | Filed Under: Quick Tips, Windows 10

While I’m happy to say that most people who have upgraded to Windows 10 seem to really like it, a few of you have had some issues. I’d like to help you out with those problems. So, what’s your beef with Windows 10?

windows-10-desktop-full-menu

Is there something you can’t find or something you’d like to know how to do? I don’t have an answer if you’re a person who just hates change or wishes that XP was still supported. And I certainly don’t think I have any help to offer this angry commenter:  “Let’s just say I believe everything you say, Cynthia. Which I don’t. Because you are full of bologna. Now, to translate it…“I am a Microsoft plant. I admit that I don’t want to help you prevent installing Windows 10, but rather to make your futile little lives more and more miserable. Microsoft is paying me to promote it, whether it’s actually good or not. Suck on —–.”  (Could someone please tell Bill Gates that he owes me? I’d even take a discount on my Office subscription or maybe a hat?)

But I think I may have answers to your questions.  So ask away!  You can either ask in the comments or go to www.worldstart.com/ask to submit your questions.

~Cynthia

Tags: , , ,

61 Responses to “Windows 10: What’s Your Beef?”

1. Brad says:

I think the people who are using a old junker computer are the ones who are having problems with W10
    News flash, W10 is not a “fix” for a junker computer that needs to be retired.

2. Paul Johnson says:

Windows 10 managed to lose machine specific drivers essential for USB drives. Without them there was no way to restore from backup drives when application software became corrupt. I had to restore a machine specific version of Windows 7 from old window 7 optical media and completely re-install application software. Data files were intact but useless without the application software. The same problem occurred on a second computer. As far as I can tell there is no way to overcome this defect in Windows 10.

3. Linda Lanquist says:

I have had Windows 10 for awhile now and basically like it – Have had many issues overtime that I have resolved by myself. However, there is one recurring issue which I have not solved…Computer will not stay in sleep mode – Any suggestions?

4. Jim says:

Happy with win 10 but it often freezes especially when watching video clips. I use edge browser

• Chris says:

I’ve read some people have problems with Edge so they go to IE instead to see what they want. I don’t use Edge on my Windows 10 because I had it default to IE since I had to desire to use Edge.

5. Kurt -- Palm Springs, CA says:

The unexpected implementation of Win 10 went well. That is, until a couple weeks later when I did a Restart rather than a Power Down. All of a sudden, I don’t have Wi-Fi. No networks are found, and my only choice is to go into Airplane mode. No longer can I travel to hotels that don’t offer Ethernet connections in the hotel rooms. I don’t know why Win 10 did this. I don’t know how to get my Wi-Fi back. Fortunately at home, I drug out my old Ethernet cables and hooked up to the router. But, it doesn’t help if all a place offers is Wi-Fi. HELP!!!

6. Mac says:

Bought a new Dell Inspiron in March that came with Windows 10 Home.
    1. When I turn on the computer after it being off for awhile, overnight, NumLock turns off. If I just do a restart NumLock will be ok. Have tried two different registry fixes as advised by Dell and Best Buy, but neither solves the issue.
    2. How can one get rid of the splash/lock screen. The screen that comes up with a date, time, and a picture before the sign in screen, that serves no useful purpose?
    3. Why won’t third party programs that I have that work fine with Win10, (and worked with XP and 7), show up in Settings/Default Apps/Choose Default Apps?

7. Ceryl Southard says:

I have a Dell Inspiron 24 all in one that came with Windows 10. I am the only user. When I try to install programs sometimes it asks for administrative privileges. But the computer says I have an adminstrative account. How can I make changes when I want without being asked for administrative privileges? Also, I found several login pictures but I can’t get them to be used. Windows keeps going back to its pictures. Thanks, Ceryl

8. Ceryl Southard says:

I like Windows 10 for the most part. Its easier to use than Windows 8.1. What I DON’T like is the restrictions on customization. Its harder to create my own templates and I can’t get the themes I create to work. Even changing things on Microsoft themes is restricted, with the small number of colors I am allowed to use. I liked being able to go in, and tell the computer to use different colors for title bars, windows backgrounds, menus, etc., and make the text larger if I needed to. I can’t do that any more. Ceryl

9. Dorothy says:

Lost all my icons that were on the Desktop when using I.E. How can I get them back? I’m using Edge now.